I was admitted as a solicitor in 1994 and have been at Hodge Jones & Allen since 1997, becoming a partner in 2000. I specialise in common law dispute resolution, public law and contentious costs and my practice areas cover a wide range of civil litigation, including inquests, catastrophic/fatal injury claims, claims for birth defects caused by chemical or pharmaceutical exposure and criminal injury cases. I have particular expertise in cases involving acquired spinal cord injury or brain injury, injury caused by vaccines, organophosphates and defective pharmaceutical products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
I have been appointed as an independent adjudicator for the Legal Aid Agency since 2000 and I am now a member of the Special Controls Review Panel, which makes decisions on funding high value cases and appeals to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
I have expertise in contentious costs and regularly sit as a Solicitor Assessor in the High Court – advising on appeals against detailed assessment decisions with a High Court Judge and Costs Judge.
I conduct professional negligence claims and contentious probate cases, claims for breach of confidence or under the Data Protection Act 1998, public law & human rights cases, contentious costs & commercial litigation.
I also act as a professional trustee, attorney and deputy in matters involving probate and administration, trusts, court of protections matters and property transactions.
I am a specialist in product liability/clinical negligence, brain and spinal cord injury and multi-party actions. I deal with inquests and appeals to the First Tier Tribunal in vaccine cases, and am a veteran of a number of previous multi party actions such as the Gulf War Syndrome cases and organophosphate litigation.
I acted pro bono for the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (R v Lord Chancellor, on the application of APIL) commencing proceedings for judicial review against the Lord Chancellor regarding his failure to review the discount rate. This led to the recent two consultations by the Lord Chancellor.
I am currently conducting a major multi-party action (70 clients) relating to Pandemrix® vaccine (the 2009/10 pandemic swine flu vaccine). The Claimants all have narcolepsy (a serious incurable neurological disorder) after the swine flu vaccination. Public funding has been granted to the Claimants.
I have also had success with claims under the Vaccine Damage Payment Act 1979, including with appeals against refusals of awards.
I have achieved substantial settlements in a number of other product liability claims including regarding defective metal-on-metal hip prostheses.
I am a ‘cyclist-friendly’ solicitor and have acted for many cyclists over the years who have suffered serious injury in road traffic collisions.
I act as a professional trustee, attorney and deputy in matters involving probate and administration, trusts, court of protection matters and property transactions.
I am strongly committed to the principle of access to justice for all, regardless of ability to pay.
I am ranked in Chambers UK, A Client’s Guide to the Legal Profession 2017, in which one client reported: “He provides great advice, keeps me clearly informed of progress on a timely basis, and is always happy to take phone calls to discuss matters. I have never felt as though I was just another client” and also in The Legal 500 legal directory as “tactically astute.”
- Articles – Herrington & Carmichael 1992-1994
- College of Law – CPE/Law Society Finals 1992
- University of Plymouth, BSc (Hons) 1986-1989
- Equity partner, Hodge Jones & Allen – May 2003 to date
- Salaried Partner, Hodge Jones & Allen – May 2000
- Joined Hodge Jones & Allen October 1997 as Assistant Solicitor
- Assistant Solicitor, Herrington & Carmichael 1994-1997
- Admitted as Solicitor – October 1994
- “Without your efforts on my behalf I would have secured no satisfaction whatsoever. I know how finely balanced the legal proceedings were and will be forever grateful for your sound advice throughout. I would be very grateful if my thanks could be communicated to all those who worked on my behalf. I would unhesitatingly recommend Hodge Jones & Allen to any potential clients.”
- “The success of the case would never have been achieved without the professionalism, of Mr Todd and his team. Also Mr Todd’s empathy throughout this case.”
- “Peter Todd is really the most fantastic solicitor you could have. Anyone who has the misfortune of an accident claim should think themselves very fortunate to have Peter on the case. Thank you so much.”
- “Peter provided an excellent overall service in which, importantly, I was treated as a person rather than simply a client.”
- Acted pro bono for the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers in proceedings for judicial review against the Lord Chancellor regarding his failure to reduce the ‘discount rate’ set under s.2 of the Damages Act 1996 (2010-12). This prompted the current review of the discount rate.
- Acted for the Claimant in a civil claim for rape against the actor/writer Steven Berkoff.
- Inquest into the death of Geoffrey Perkins (2009).
- Inquest into the death of a seven-year-old girl at a public swimming pool in Essex and civil claims arising from that incident including successful judicial review proceedings against the HSE (refusal to act as enforcing authority).
- Primodos claims (a multi party action re causality of birth defects by a hormone pregnancy test).
- Gulf war syndrome litigation (multi party action for veterans of Gulf war).
- Organophosphate litigation (multi party action for farmers and others exposed to sheep dip and other pesticide applications of organophosphates).
- Various appeals against refusal of compensation under the Vaccine Damage Payment Act 1979.
- Various claims under Consumer Protection Act 1987 against pharmaceutical corporations for damages, for injury and loss alleged to be caused by adverse reactions to vaccines.
- Other multi party actions including the Romantica Cruise Ship fire case, the Kerrin Point multi-party action and the Hepatitis ‘C’ contaminated blood transfusions cases, for victims of abuse in religious children’s schools in Ireland & for victims of defective hip replacement prostheses.
- London Solicitors Litigation Association (LSLA).
- The Solicitors Regulation Authority Personal Injury Panel.
- The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
- The Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA).
- The London Cycling Campaign.
- Independent Funding Adjudicator, Independent Costs Assessor & Member of the Special Controls Review Panel for the Legal Aid Agency on funding review appeals.
- Solicitor Costs Assessor (advising the court as an expert solicitor on appeals against detailed assessments of costs in the Senior Courts).
- Governor & Vice Chair of Governors of Loughton School, Milton Keynes (a large junior school and Academy trust).
- Member & Chairman of Loughton & Great Holm Parish Council.
Follow me on Twitter @petertodd_