Get In Touch
help Personal Injury

Slip and Trip Compensation Claims

If you’ve been seriously injured after a slip or trip, you may be able to make a personal injury claim for compensation.

The consequences of a slip or trip can be minor, but can sometimes result in serious injuries such as broken bones, severe ligament damage or even head injuries which can affect your personal life. 

If you’ve suffered an injury that wasn’t your fault, it’s not all about the physical impact either. Your injury can affect your ability to work and socialise, which can be stressful and worrying.

That’s why at Hodge Jones & Allen, our experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyers are here to help. Whether the slip or trip was an accident at work, in a shop or on the pavement, we have the expertise to help you get the compensation you’re entitled to.

Legal 500 UK -Top-Tier-Rirm-2023“Hodge Jones & Allen is a well known and popular claimant law firm, with a reputation for taking on complex cases that require excellent legal knowledge and courage.” – Legal 500, 2023


Hodge Jones & Allen_Chambers 2023_pngOur Personal Injury team has been ranked in the Chambers & Partners 2023 legal directory. The team was described as “highly consistent and attentive” and were praised for providing “well-thought-through advice” our clients “could trust”.

we can help.

    Where do slips & trips occur?

    A slip or a trip can happen anywhere, but the most common locations for people to fall in public include:

    • Pavements
    • Public Highways
    • Parks
    • Playgrounds
    • Schools & Colleges
    • Council Offices
    • Business Premises
    • Supermarkets

    Wherever your slip or trip occurred, the aftermath of a fall can be traumatic and painful. That’s why we’re here to help you every step of the way after you’ve suffered an accident.


    Back to top

    Why you should make a claim after a slip or trip

    Slips and trips can leave you with long-term damage, such as chronic pain or even disabilities. Injuries from accidents can also lead to substantial financial losses, often caused by having to take time off work to recover or attend medical appointments.

    A claim for compensation could help you overcome the loss of earnings, as well as covering any future medical costs that you may incur as a result of your injuries. This can include the cost of long-term care, even after your initial rehabilitation period. 


    Back to top

    Time limit in slips & trips claims

    It’s important that you get in touch with our personal injury lawyers as soon as you can after an accident, as there is a time limit for making a claim. 

    Any compensation claims for slip and trip injuries must be brought (submitted to the court) within three years of the date you suffered an injury, or three years of you being aware that you have suffered an injury. 

    There is an exception for children under the age of 18 years who have until they reach their 21st birthday to submit their claim to court.

    Get in touch with our specialist team today on
    request a call back.
    Back to top

    How much compensation could I receive after a slip or trip?

    The amount of compensation you receive will vary depending on your specific circumstances. 

    Compensation is primarily dependent on the severity of your injuries. Therefore, those who make personal injury claims with minor injuries that fully heal quickly, will inevitably receive a lower settlement than someone who suffers major injury that leaves them with permanent disabilities.

    You may also suffer other hardships, such as loss of earnings, or may require future long-term care as a result of suffering from a slip or trip injury. All of these circumstances can impact the level of compensation you receive. 

    As every injury is personal, the amount of compensation you could potentially receive will be personal to you. For more information on what you can expect to claim, get in touch with our expert personal injury solicitors.

    Back to top

    Why choose Hodge Jones & Allen? 

    If you’ve suffered an injury due to a slip or trip in the last three years, our London-based team of specialist personal injury solicitors will provide you with a free, no-obligation consultation. We have the expert knowledge and experience to help you get the compensation you deserve.

    At Hodge Jones & Allen, we know the impact injuries from slips and falls can have on your life. That’s why we want to give you the support and help you need to get the outcome you deserve.

    If an accident has impacted your life, our expert lawyers are knowledgeable and experienced in working with you to get the compensation you deserve. We work hard to collect the evidence needed to give you the best chance of winning, as well as helping you build your case and offering you industry-leading representation throughout the process, including in court.

    Back to top

    Featured case

    Pothole trap

    Our Client tripped in a pothole as she was crossing the road, injuring her ankle. Unfortunately, she also developed fibromyalgia as a result, so was left with permanent symptoms and could no longer pursue her career in law. Liability was admitted but causation was in dispute. The case was settled the day before trial.

    Damages awarded: £75,000

    Get in touch with our expert Personal Injury lawyers on
    or request a call back.
    Back to top
    Meet The Team
    view all
    Leticia Williams
    Anne Sanders
    Karen Mann
    Senior Associate
    Ken Brough
    Patrick Allen
    Senior Partner
    Riffat Yaqub
    Megan Finnis

    Frequently asked questions

    What should I do if I have had a slip or trip accident?

    Depending on the severity of the injury, one of the most important things to do after an accident is to gather as much evidence as possible. This usually includes taking photos of the accident scene and obtaining witness details.

    Do I need to report the accident if I’m thinking about making a personal injury claim?

    Yes – an accident should be reported as soon as possible, whether this is to the local council, a supermarket or your employer.

    The accident book should also always be completed as soon as possible as this is further evidence to support the case. Even if you are thinking about making a claim for compensation, do not wait to bring the case thinking that it is sufficient for your solicitor to report the accident.

    Do I need to seek medical attention or will my solicitor arrange this?

    In cases involving serious injuries, treatment should be sought immediately. In other cases, it is still important to obtain medical attention straight away. Whilst treatment can be organised through the claim this often happens at a later date.

    It is important for individuals to report the accident to their GP or hospital as we will request the medical attendance record to support the case. It also shows that the injured person is doing everything they can to get themselves better.

    When should I bring a case?

    Whilst an individual has 3 years from the date of an accident to bring a personal injury claim (a child and other protected parties have longer), it is always best to bring the case as soon as possible. Do not wait thinking that you have 3 years. Claims are often stronger the sooner they are brought.

    Further Reading
    View all