- Criminal Defence
- Representing You
- Challenging Orders and Punishments
- Defending your Case
- Deletion of criminal records for convictions and cautions
- Driving Offences
- Drugs & Money Laundering
- Protest Law
- Sexual Freedom
- Sexual Offences
- Young People & The Law
- What’s the Process
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Law
- Civil Liberties
- Court of Protection Deputyship Solicitors
- Employment Law
- Family Law
- Wills & Probate
- Medical Negligence
- Military Claims
- Personal Injury
- Dispute Resolution
- Financial Crime and Regulatory
- Social Housing
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma
- Property Disputes
Awards & Accreditations
Criminal Defence Solicitors London
“A firm dedicated to the old-fashioned virtue of conscientious hard work in pursuit of their clients’ interests.”
Legal 500 – Ranked as Tier 1 (Crime)
We are widely acknowledged as one of the leading criminal defence practices in the UK. Highly recommended by the leading legal directories (Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners), our expert lawyers have defended in the most high profile and serious and complex cases ever prosecuted in the country. We pride ourselves on the highest quality of representation for all HJA clients, no matter what the case.
This commitment to excellence has led to our criminal defence lawyers winning numerous national awards. We are focussed on securing the very best outcome for all HJA clients. We consider ourselves second to none, when it comes to winning trial preparation.
Our winning formula is not just based on decades of experience and knowledge, but on understanding our client. Our lawyers are supportive and empathetic, taking the time to know and understand the most important person in the case – our client. Our lawyers are supportive and empathetic, taking the time to know and understand the most important person in the case our client. Our client is at the heart of every case we defend in. We know how to fight. We fight to win. We fight for you.
- Our client testimonials speak for themselves – “The service I received was nothing short of brilliant and I couldn’t fault them in any way. And they got me exactly the result I wanted.” – Client 2019
- Independently recognised as leaders in the field – “They’re excellent: they are able to accommodate every level of case from the most complicated to the simplest, they’ve got the resources and deploy them well, and they’re very proactive.” – Chambers & Partners UK 2019
- Available 24 hours a day – When you need representation our team of experts can be on hand 24 hours a day.
Introduction to our Criminal Defence team
Criminal Defence Services
We are able to represent you from an interview at the police station to any court hearings or regulatory or disciplinary hearing. We cover:
- Blackmail & Extortion
- Confiscation & Restraint
- Court Martials
- Cyber Crime
- Deletion of Criminal Records and Cautions
- Driving Offences
- Drug Offences
- Firearms Offences
- Internet Offences
- Murder Defence
- Police Representation
- Private Prosecutions
- Protest Law & Political Interest
- Public Order Offences
- Reputation Management
- Sex Offences
- Theft and Dishonesty Offences
- Youth Crime
Criminal litigation procedures
- Contact us – Get in touch if you are in need of representation to get a police caution removed or because you have been accused of a crime. Call our 24-hour hotline on 0844 848 0222 and a member of our team will help you gain the assistance you require.
- Trustworthy representation – A member of our team will assist you in your case from the first hint of an investigation. We can work to encourage no prosecution to be taken.
- Assisting you every step of the way – If your matter ends up in court, we can guide and represent you through the entire process, right up to appeal to the highest courts if necessary.
Why Do You Need A Criminal Defence Solicitor From Hodge Jones & Allen?
Whilst we frequently deal with high-profile cases involving ground-breaking issues of law, we recognise that to each client their case has profound importance. We will be committed to your case no matter how large or small. You can expect to receive clear advice from a solicitor able to think strategically using the team’s vast experience and knowledge of criminal litigation. You will have a solicitor who is tenacious in their representation.
- Representation – Our solicitors will assist you in your case from the first hint of an investigation. We can work to encourage no prosecution to be taken. Moreover, If your matter ends up in court, we can guide and represent you through the entire process, right up to appeal to the highest courts if necessary.
- Court hearings – If your matter ends up in court, we can guide and represent you through the entire process, right up to appeal to the highest courts if necessary.
- Robust Defence – We take the time to understand your case and your approach to it so that we can fight better on your behalf. Our lawyers’ patient, diligent and approachable manner is appreciated by our clients.
Criminal Defence Cases we have worked on
- Murder charge dropped for client in New Year altercation on Park Lane – Solicitor Alex Chapman was instructed in the defence of Adham El Shalakany at the Central Criminal Court. Mr El Shalakany was arrested at home on 29 January 2019 and charged in connection with the murder of Tudor Siminiov on Park Lane on 1 January 2019. The charge was brought on a joint enterprise basis. The prosecution decided that they would not proceed with the murder charge against him.
- Stansted 15 Walk Free From Court After Sentencing – A group of 15 activists who were convicted under counter-terrorism legislation for stopping a deportation flight have walked free from court.The group were convicted of disrupting services at an aerodrome, contrary to the Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990 – a law brought in as a direct result of the Lockerbie bombings in 1988. Raj Chada, a partner in the Criminal team represented the defendants.
- LIBOR acquittals response – Criminal Litigation Partner Ruth Harris represented five men who have been found not guilty of all charges by a jury at Southwark Crown Court following a four-month trial into LIBOR rigging.
Frequently asked questions
Many people who have been arrested and have never been in trouble before feel they do not require a lawyer because they have done nothing wrong. This is a mistake. Criminal law is a vast, complex and specialist area and you require the best advice when your liberty and reputation is at stake, not to mention any financial penalties that you may incur. It is important to have a specialist criminal lawyer with you throughout the process.
If you have been Released Under Investigation, this means that the police or other investigators are still continuing their enquiries and the investigation is ongoing. The authorities may be taking further witness statements, obtaining CCTV, having items forensically analysed or obtaining banking and other personal data.Having been Released Under Investigation and/or bailed by the police, the police have a number of options:
– The police could decide to take no further action
– The police might caution you
– They might charge you meaning that you would be required to go to court
– If you are required to attend court you should instruct a lawyer to represent you who can give you expert advice, both as to the offence you face, and the how the court procedure works
Initially, you can be released for a maximum of 28 days, but this can be extended by up to 3 months (including those initial 28 days) by a senior officer if the criteria is made out. Further extensions can only be granted by a magistrates’ court up to 12 months if the necessary criteria is made out.
Yes, we are very experienced in this area in relation to both young people and those with mental or developmental conditions. We are very knowledgeable about such conditions and have quick access to psychiatrists, psychologists and intermediaries who can assess you and produce reports for the court to help you in your case. We can make applications to the court for you to be assisted by an intermediary to sit with you and support you in order to help you understand what is happening in your case, and to help you give your account of what happened.
One of our senior solicitors specialises in this area and is particularly knowledgeable about Autism. We also have a specialist Youth Team which is highly regarded in the field of youth justice. We know that even when a child/young person has been charged with a very grown up criminal offence, they are still exceptionally vulnerable in the court process because of their age. The best interests of the child/young person is a central principle of the youth justice system and it’s at the heart of our approach to fighting for our young clients.