I was admitted as a solicitor in 1984, and in 1985 joined Alistair Porter and Co to head up their criminal defence practice in Tottenham North London, an area with a very high crime rate. I started working in Tottenham in 1985 at the time of the Broadwater Farm estate riots and practiced there until October 2011, having defended many who were charged in relation to both the original riots and the recent riots of the summer of 2011.
I have built up and maintained a large client base, particularly in the London Boroughs of Haringey and Enfield, and numerous of my clients are members of families I have represented for 30 years.
I believe in the right of all those suspected or charged with criminal offence to be properly represented, irrespective of their circumstances or offences. I have vast experience of representing those with drug or alcohol addictions, and those with mental health conditions. I believe in racial equality, particularly being of mixed heritage myself. I have spoken publicly on diversity issues in relation to the appointment of Lay Magistrates.
I have a special interest and knowledge of those suspects who are on the Autistic Disorder Spectrum ( ASD ) including those with Asperger’s Syndrome, I have lectured at the Law Society and National Conferences on “Autism in the Criminal Justice System”. I am also experienced in acting for those with learning disabilities and who have special educational needs.
I am a very experienced court advocate who has been practising in the London criminal courts for 30 years and am well known in those courts
I have vast experience and specialise in the following areas :-
- Murder and grievous bodily harm
- Drug supplying including importation through the air and sea ports
- Serious sexual offences including rape, and particularly historic cases of alleged child sex abuse
- Internet pornography
- Complex financial fraud
- Inner city gang-related offences
I am a long standing active member of the specialist Law Society Criminal Law Committee. In that capacity I contribute to responses to Government consultation papers on proposed new criminal legal legislation; sentencing and legal aid funding issues.
- “I would like to thank you for your help over the past few weeks. Your legal assistance was done in such a professional and compassionate way, it is much appreciated.”
- “THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am overwhelmed and grateful that this is all over with” Mr B
- “Because of his condition and the fact that he had been taken advantage of by a drug dealer your defence brought a caution, rather than a possible 4 years imprisonment for my son.”
- “I would like to thank you for your hard work… You are a very good lawyer and gentleman. I wish you best of luck, health and prosperity”. Mr A
- “Thank you for all your hard work in helping me. The outcome could not have been better”. James
- “I would like to thank you very much for all your assistance in this matter, it gave me a great deal of peace of mind and I am glad that I took the advice of a friend to attend this interview with a solicitor present….. Once again thank you very much and should I ever need a solicitor again I will definitely be in touch with you” Mrs R
- “I would like to thank you for getting my son out of custody so quick. Our family are very grateful.”
- “Thank you again for all your work and would like to say how very much I and the rest of Joe’s family appreciate all you have done and are doing on his behalf.”
- “Thank you for trying your best to help me in all these cases Sir. You are a very good solicitor and I know this.”
- “What I most liked about using your firm was the fact that I am in the hands of the same solicitor for 30 years.”
- “Graeme Hydari’s talk (on Crime in the Haringey Community about the subject of Crack Cocaine addiction) reflected his great ability to legally defend his clients at the courthouse and outside. As a resident and Magistrate of the borough I now have a much better understanding to carry out my civil duty.”
- “Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your advice, professionalism and patience over the past 18 months plus.We are sure the outcome would have been very different without your help.”
- Articled clerkship Corkers London, 1982 – 1984
- Law Society Solicitor Final Examinations
- BA ( Hons ) Degree in Law
- University of Northumbria Newcastle, 1977 – 1981
- Full-time Consultant Hodge Jones & Allen, Oct 2011 to date
- Consultant Needham Poulier London, 2008 -2011
- Senior/ Managing Partner Porters Solicitors London, 1994 – 2008
- Equity Partner Alistair Porter and Co, 1988 – 1994
- Assistant Solicitor Alistair Porter and Co London, 1985 – 1988
- Assistant solicitor Corkers Solicitors, 1984
- Paraskeva prison-life sentence overturned and replaced by hospital order
- Francis conviction for murder overturned. No re-trial.
- Sidney Cooke child killer and sex offender
- “Operation Ore“ child pornography cases including acting for Consultant Doctor
- Dixon accountant in music business fraud and false accounting involving bands Suede and Primal Scream
- Vat Frauds Cressey “ Operation Metro “ ( ‘phoenixing companies’ ) O’Brien ( hotels ) “Operation Genie.”
Membership & Appointments
- Higher Criminal Courts Advocate
- Duty Solicitor courts and police stations
- Independent Peer Reviewer for Legal Aid Agency
- Special Educational Needs School Governor Colville School Cambridge
- Law Society Criminal Law Committee
- London Criminal Courts Solicitors’ Association
Married with 3 children. Interests include contemporary music and literature. I support Sunderland Football Club