Get In Touch
help Residential Property Disputes

Jointly Owned Property Disputes

If you are caught up in a dispute with your partner, friend or relative over the sale of a jointly owned property, we can provide specialist advice to protect your interests. We know that being embroiled in a dispute can be distressing, particularly if the other party is someone you’re close to. That’s why we do all we can to support you and get the best possible outcome for everyone involved.

Property law disputes can often arise over who should benefit from the sale of a home, especially where unmarried couples are separating with no children. If the property’s in your partner’s name and you have contributed towards the deposit and mortgage, you may be entitled to a share of the property.

A home is a big financial commitment for you, and we will fight your corner, while maintaining an objective stance to ensure that you get the help you need. Our specialist property law team are experts in the industry and have decades of experience in helping resolve property disputes between co-owners.

Contact our knowledgeable property specialists on

to find out how we can help you. Or request a call back.

Request a call back

    Why choose Hodge Jones & Allen solicitors?

    Our specialist team is extremely knowledgeable about property law. We have decades of experience helping people overcome property disputes, treating every case with the care and attention it needs. We understand that properties are not only bought for you to reside in, but also as a long-term investment, and we want to help you protect that.

    The team at Hodge Jones & Allen will work hard for you. We can assess your case and advise you on the best way to proceed to get the best outcome. We also work hard to ensure your issues are resolved as quickly as possible, keeping you updated on progress throughout the case.

    We start with a strategy on how to engage with the other parties to place you in a position of strength ahead of a dispute. Should matters become contentious, we can often resolve your dispute by providing legal clarity. Should your case need to be resolved in court, we can also provide representation for you.

    "My experience with HJA was very professional at all times. They were helpful and very honest."

    Back to top

    Featured Cases

    Client successfully sells home after ex-partner refused

    Our client purchased a property with his ex-partner. The relationship then broke down and she left to start a new life in Ireland.

    She agreed she no longer had a share in the property and the client paid all the mortgage and bills. Some ten years later, the client now wished to sell the property but his ex-partner was refusing. After a letter of claim was sent, the ex-partner finally agreed to sign a TR1, transferring title for a sum of £10,000.

    Need legal advice? Contact our experts in jointly owned property dispute cases today on
    or request a call back.
    Back to top
    Meet The Team
    view all
    Jayesh Kunwardia
    Bahareh Amani
    Chun Wong
    Daniel Fitzpatrick
    Michael Kilbane
    Ruhul Ameen
    Brenel Menezes
    Senior Associate
    Edward Sharp
    Senior Associate
    Stuart Miles
    Alexandra Pecanac
    Amirah Choudhury

    Frequently asked questions

    My ex-partner and I are selling our property. It was always agreed that I would own a larger share of the property, but I have nothing in writing to evidence this, is there any other evidence I can produce to show this?

    You should look over your financial records to see if you can find evidence of you making a larger contribution to the deposit, purchase price, mortgage instalments or any other bills.

    Additionally, a court may consider oral evidence from you from what you can remember about conversations between you and your ex-partner, so try to recall these as accurately as possible.


    I bought a property with a friend many years ago but they have moved out and not paid the mortgage. Can I just sell the property now?

    If they are on the legal title, you will need their consent or a court order (to confirm that they no longer have any beneficial) interest in the property. You should check to see if you have any evidence of any agreement that when they moved out they were giving up their share of the joint property.

    You should get them to come off the legal title in good time before you seek to sell in case this compromises on any deadlines.

    Further Reading
    View all