Section A: simple estates
We anticipate the probate process (on the basis detailed below) will take, on average, between 10 and 20 hours work. The rate of charge will depend on the seniority and experience of the person responsible for the work.
Hourly rates for qualified staff vary between £195 per hour plus VAT (charged at 20%) to £290 per hour plus VAT (charged at 20%). The lawyer allocated to assist you will depend on the complexity of the estate.
The following is only an estimate and it is based on a relatively simple estate as described below. At £195 per hour, the total costs would be between £1,950 to £3,900, plus VAT (charged at 20%) and disbursements.
For a more senior lawyer whose hourly rate is £290 per hour, the likely costs would be between £2,900 to £5,800, plus VAT (charged at 20%) and disbursements. For likely disbursements see below.
This estimate is only for estate administration where:
- There is a valid will.
- There is no more than one property.
- There are no more than 2 bank or building society accounts.
- There are no other intangible assets.
- There are 5-10 beneficiaries and their addresses are known.
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this will likely lead to an increase in costs.
- There are no claims made against the estate.
- There are no assets outside England and Wales.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Depending on your individual circumstances, all or some of the following may be payable:
- Probate application fee – currently £155.00.
- Official copies of the Grant – currently £0.50 per copy.
- Swearing of the oath (per executor) – £5 plus £2 per each exhibit (will and any codicils).
- H M Land Registry Search fees – £3.00 per item.
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches – £2.00 per beneficiary.
- Advertisements in The London Gazette and a local newspaper to protect against unexpected claims from unknown creditors. The cost will depend on the advertising costs of the local newspaper but is usually between £150 and £300.