Accidents At Work

If you have been injured in an accident at work that has taken place within the last 3 years and can show that it was not your fault, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. The location of your accident may have been in your usual work place such as the office or elsewhere such as on a construction or industrial site, factory or warehouse, while serving in the military or even while working overseas. Some people may be more at risk than others due to the nature and location of their work.

An injury which means you are not able to work for a period of time can be physically and financially challenging and stressful for you and your family. Worry about your recovery and treatment will be at the forefront of your mind, as well as the challenges of potential financial losses as a result. This could be loss of earnings due to your time off work, treatment costs, travel expenses, care provided by family members or private rehabilitation.

Our Personal Injury solicitors who deal with accident at work claims could help. Call them on 0808 231 6369 or request a call back online.

Safety at Work – What are your Rights?

Whatever your job is, the law states that you should always be provided with a safe place of work, safe and suitable work equipment, given proper training and effective supervision and have competent, properly trained colleagues who do not put you at risk.

Your employers have a “duty of care” towards you and have a duty to carry out risk assessments so as to identify any risks and to control these risks.

Sometimes clients are reluctant to pursue a claim against their employers as they fear being treated unfairly at work. However, it will not be your employers who will fund the claim for compensation directly, but their insurers as employers are legally obliged to have compulsory employer`s liability insurance in place for this very scenario.

If you are injured at work and make a compensation claim to your employer this does not affect your employment rights. If you are treated unfairly, or do lose your job and you think it is because you made a compensation claim, you should speak to an employment lawyer as soon as possible because the time limits to bring such an employment law claim are very short.

What type of injuries can I claim for?

We’ve put together a list of some of the types of injuries you can claim for. If your injury type is not listed here it is worth giving us a call to discuss:

  • Injuries from manual handling, lifting or carrying
  • Unsafe working practices and procedures
  • Failing to comply with health and safety regulations and guidance
  • Injuries caused by the lack of provision of suitable protective equipment
  • Exposure to toxic chemicals and substances
  • Being hit by a moving object – including vehicles, forklift or cranes
  • Accidents involving machinery – including dangerous machinery, defective and poorly maintained equipment
  • A fall from a height
  • Being hit by something falling from height
  • Trips and slips
  • Injuries caused by the careless actions of a colleague – including due to insufficient or improper training
  • Violence in the workplace

Type of injuries sustained at work

Injuries vary in range and severity. We have put together a list of some of the types of injuries you can claim for, if your injury type is not listed here it is worth giving us a call to discuss:

  • Brain injury
  • Head injury
  • Spinal injury
  • Crush injuries
  • Fractures
  • Amputations
  • Fatal injury
  • Loss of sight and smell
  • Injury to internal organs
  • Hernias
  • Psychiatric injury
  • Repetitive strain injuries

Accident at work claims with Hodge Jones & Allen

We have a dedicated team of specialist personal injury solicitors who can deal with you or your family to advise on the best approach to making a claim for compensation as a result of an accident at work, which may have left you or a loved one with a life-changing injury.

Our specialist solicitors work on a client first approach with the injured persons needs and treatment at the very forefront of the claim.

Early rehabilitation and a collaborative approach with the insurers is key to getting the best outcome for the injured person.

  • Rehabilitation first

Rehabilitation and care is our primary focus. We recognise every injury is different and every individual is different so, the treatment and recommendations will be tailored to you and your symptoms.

  • Award winning team

We have got an award winning team of specialist personal injury solicitors. Latest award – the Winner of The Legal 500 London Firm of the Year 2019 in the category: Insurance for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence.

  • Leaders in the field

We are independently ranked Leaders in the field of personal injury with a proven track record of high-value settlements.

How much compensation can I claim for my accident at work?

Accident compensation is broken into two parts

  1. Injury ( known as General damages)
  2. Financial Losses ( known as Special damages)

The compensation for the injury is based on the severity of it and how it affects your everyday life. The medico-legal reports will provide the details to assist with valuing your claim and will deal with the consequences of the accident and any long-term effects.

The compensation for the financial losses are split into expenses already incurred (past losses) and expenses expected to be incurred (future losses).

The most common past losses are usually loss of earnings, medication costs, private rehabilitation costs, travel expenses, damaged property and care and assistance provided by family members.

Future losses are also likely to be loss of earnings if the injury will prevent you from working again or in a limited capacity, pension loss, care, private rehabilitation treatment, medication and surgery costs. Depending on the nature and severity of the injury there may be a need for additional aids and adaptations to your home and car.

Your specialist personal injury solicitor will be able to guide you as to what can be claimed and how each loss can be proved as reasonable and properly recoverable in the claim for compensation.

How do you make a personal injury claim following an accident at work?

  • Medical attention

Seek immediate medical help from your GP or a hospital if you suffer an injury due to an accident at work. Make sure it is documented correctly as to how the injury happened.

  • Record the accident

You should also ensure that the accident is recorded in your company’s accident book immediately or as soon after your accident as possible. Your employer is required to keep such a book. If they do not then report to your line manager as soon as possible. This will be important evidence as to how and when the accident happened, should it be disputed by your employers and/ or their insurers.

  • Legal assistance

Speak to one of our specialist personal injury solicitors who will advise you on the next steps, how to pursue a case, and how much compensation you could potentially claim.

How long do I have to make a personal injury claim?

The time limit for making a claim following an accident at work is usually three years from the date of the injury or the date you became aware that you have suffered an injury. Children who have sustained an injury before 18 years of age have until their 21st birthday to start court proceedings. It is possible to delay making a claim for an accident at work until after you have left your employer. However, if you do this, it is very important that the accident was reported as soon as possible after it happened and that the accident book was completed.

Industrial and Occupational Disease Claims

This would cover the following:

  • Repetitive strain injuries caused by completing tasks involving repetitive type movements
  • Stress claims due to excessive workloads
  • Stress claims due to bullying and harassment in the workplace
  • Vibration white finger
  • Noise-induced hearing loss
  • Lung conditions caused by the workplace environment or due to exposure to chemicals

The time limit to bring a claim is slightly different in that it is three years from the “Date of Knowledge”. This is generally the date you first realised or suspected that your illness was related to your work or three years from the onset of symptoms.

It is best to talk to your specialist personal injury solicitor who can give expert advice as to whether your claim is in time or not.

Case Study: Lower limb amputation

Our Client was a glazier working at height on a ladder installing a window. The ladder was defective and he was not provided with proper equipment or assistance from his employer and the risk assessments were not suitable. He fell sustaining serious injuries to his back and underwent a right knee amputation. Liability was denied so medical evidence was obtained and court proceedings issued. Liability was then agreed with the Defendant at 75%.

Damages awarded: In excess of £1 million

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call us on:

    Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

    Phone:0808 231 6369
    Fax:020 7388 2106
    Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
    180 North Gower Street
    NW1 2NB