Get In Touch
help Residential Property Disputes

Residential Property Dispute Solicitors

Where your home is concerned, residential disputes can leave you feeling frustrated, fearful and ignored. We understand that issues with neighbours or local authorities can have a detrimental effect on your life. Our leading residential property dispute team is on hand to assist you with legal guidance and to represent you when you need it most.

We can step in and negotiate with the other party on your behalf, working towards an amicable solution that resolves the issue. Or if the other party remains uncooperative, we can pursue them in court with a legally binding arrangement. 

Whether you’ve got noisy neighbours keeping you awake at night, or are unsure of the future of your jointly owned property, reach out to our team of leading property dispute solicitors today.

we can help.

Request a call back

    What is a residential property dispute?

    A residential property dispute is a disagreement between yourself and one or more parties about your home, whether you own it or are renting. 

    Disagreements can range from problems with noisy neighbours to a local authority refusing your planning application for a new extension.

    When you have been unable to reach a sound agreement with the other party yourself, or they have been uncooperative, we can step in to help you with legal backing.

    Contact our specialist residential property dispute solicitors on
    or request a call back.
    Back to top

    Residential property dispute services

    Our team of dedicated property dispute solicitors can help with a variety of residential property disputes, including:

    Boundary disputes

    If your neighbour or another party is encroaching on the boundary of your property without your permission, you may be able to pursue a property dispute claim. We can help if your neighbour is using your drive to park their car, or if nearby trees are overhanging into your garden.

    Jointly owned property

    Joint ownership disputes can occur between friends and family if you both own a property but have different designs for its future. We can assist in reaching an amicable solution that resolves the issue before it gets out of hand.

    Leasehold disputes

    Whether you’re a leaseholder or a freeholder, we have experience in resolving residential property disputes regarding public and shared areas, and troublesome residents.

    Nuisance and negligence

    Difficult neighbours can leave you feeling stressed and frustrated. Whether it’s loud parties or noisy arguments, to keeping their property in a dangerously poor condition, we can help you to find a resolution.

    Planning appeals

    If a local authority has refused your planning application, such as for a conservatory or extension, our leading property dispute solicitors can fight to overturn the situation and ensure your application is handled fairly.

    Restrictive covenants on your land

    Should you need outdated covenants on your land updated or removed so that you may make new arrangements, we can help guide your application and ensure all the paperwork is in order.

    Back to top

    How do I make a property dispute claim?

    Making a property dispute claim is easy. Follow the steps below:

    Contact us

    If you’ve been unable to reach an agreement yourself, or unable to contact the other party, get in touch with our team.


    One of our leading solicitors will evaluate your case and provide you with a strategy of what to do next. We will reach out to the other party to begin negotiations in a legal capacity. 

    Finding a solution

    We’ll work on mediating between relevant parties and yourself until we can come to a suitable arrangement, or take the matter to a court if needs be.


    Contact our specialist residential property dispute solicitors on
    or request a call back.
    Back to top

    Why choose Hodge Jones & Allen solicitors?

    We provide a premium, leading service to all our clients, no matter how lengthy your dispute or complex the issue. 

    With a team of award-winning solicitors at your disposal, you’ll be best placed to succeed in your case and find a solution you are happy with.


    Back to top

    The London Legal Podcast

    Property Disputes

    Stuart Miles and Michael Kilbane of our Property Disputes team give their top tips on how to solve disputes that can arise after a property purchase. Listen to our specialist solicitors discuss the steps you can follow to settle a dispute amicably and without it escalating. From noise complaints to obtrusive extensions, Stuart and Michael offer their advice.

    London Legal Podcast Logo

    Back to top
    Meet The Team
    view all
    Jayesh Kunwardia
    Bahareh Amani
    Chun Wong
    Daniel Fitzpatrick
    Michael Kilbane
    Ruhul Ameen
    Brenel Menezes
    Senior Associate
    Edward Sharp
    Senior Associate
    Stuart Miles
    Alexandra Pecanac
    Amirah Choudhury

    Frequently asked questions

    I am a leaseholder of a flat and the tenants in the flat above me are always making a lot of noise. This has not been helped by the fact that the owner of the flat upstairs has put floorboards down.

    You’ll need to check if the lease requires the owner of the flat above to have sound insulation or specific flooring (such as carpets). You should keep a diary of the noise nuisance.

    You can complain to the freeholder as well as the owner, that there is a breach of your right to ‘quiet enjoyment’. You can also complain to Environmental Health if it is serious enough to become a ‘statutory nuisance’. If it is really bad, then you can consider obtaining an injunction to stop the noise.

    I had use of a path owned by my neighbours to access my garage at the back of my garden. My neighbours have now put up a locked gate which has prevented me from accessing my garage. Can they do this?

    The first thing you need to do is check the title deeds for the two properties to see if there are any clauses or terms in the deeds which give you a right of way.

    If a right of way does exist, you can take action to enforce your rights, which may include obtaining an injunction requiring your neighbour to remove the gate or provide you with access.

    If no right of way was recorded in the title deeds,  you need to establish historical use of the path. Depending on how long you have owned your property, you may need to speak to previous owners of your property to establish how long your property has had the benefit of the path.


    These can be very complicated matters and you should seek specialist advice as soon as possible.

    Further Reading
    View all