Boundary Disputes

We know that the boundary of your property is more than just a line on a map. It determines the value of your property, how it can be enjoyed and how it can be protected. Rights of way or views can be influenced by boundaries and they allow you to know the extent of your land, so that you can safely develop your land in a particular way.

If someone is encroaching on your land, then it is important to act promptly to defend your property. Perhaps, you are being denied use of an access road you have been using for the past 5 years. If you cannot resolve the dispute regarding the road or your land, then quite clearly issues will arise when you come to sell your property. Taking early action can be critical to selling your property.

The boundary lines on your Land Registry plan do not always accurately reflect the true situation on the ground, as the boundary can be determined by a number of factors, such as new agreements, which can change over time. Additionally, a previous neighbour may have made an agreement with you, but now that a sale of the property has occurred, the new neighbour may be attempting to renege on that offer.

Boundaries also have their own unique set of rules when building work is being conducted at, or close to them. If such work is being carried out on or close to your boundary, then you should ensure that appropriate notices have been served by your neighbour, and a surveyor has drafted a suitable party wall agreement. An agreement of this nature is critical in ensuring that work is carried out with your best interests at heart and making sure that there is provision for any damage done to your property during the course of the works.

Our specialist advisers have an intimate understanding of property law

We can provide the legal protection you need, whatever the dispute might be, for example:

  • Positioning of boundaries
  • Trespass
  • Overhanging trees
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Damage done to your land by a neighbour
  • Encroachment from neighbouring buildings
  • Overlooking windows
  • Use of utilities
  • Rights of way
  • Adverse possession
  • Party Wall Agreements

By obtaining early legal advice, we can help you to prepare a strategy on how to engage with your neighbours in order to place you in a position of strength ahead of a dispute. Should matters become contentious, then we can often resolve your dispute by providing legal clarity. If you need to take further legal action, our team can provide all the experience you need to settle your dispute in Court or fight your corner at trial in order to maximise your chances of success.

At all times, we will contemplate operating cost effectively and ensuring you are getting value for money is always at the forefront of our mind. We are aware of the commercial pressures that litigation can bring on both you and your opponents and we will use this tactically to get the best possible outcome for you.

I have a boundary issue, what should I do?

  • Speak to us

Contact our expert lawyers for a free initial assessment about your boundary issues.

  • Help you to solve

Our solicitors will assess your claim and allocate the most appropriate team to help you.

  • Funding options

Our lawyers will talk to you about the funding options available.

Party Wall Disputes

The Party Wall Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving party wall disputes relating to boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of the work they intend to carry out in the way set down in the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed.

If you are having difficulty resolving a dispute, our experienced property dispute solicitors can advise you on how the Act should be applied in your situation. We can defend your party wall rights and ensure any dispute is dealt with quickly and cheaply. We can also make representations on your behalf to neighbouring property owners.

If you need to urgently stop building works from neighbouring properties, we can seek a Court injunction to prevent further work, allowing you more time to resolve your dispute.

Rights of Way

A right of way or rights over another person’s property can make your life easier if you benefit from that right, but equally, others may abuse access rights over your property or deny rights you may be entitled to.

Disputes can often arise over these rights which can only be resolved once legal action has been taken. Our solicitors are highly regarded in this field of expertise and can help you resolve a whole range of issues, involving rights to:

  • Light for your property
  • Enter a property or access a piece of land
  • Park a vehicle
  • Prevent a type of use or development
  • Carry out repairs

We know how to resolve disputes before they become costly and complex. If the dispute cannot be settled out of Court, we can undertake Court proceedings on your behalf to ensure you stand the best chance of success as quickly as possible.

Why should you choose us to deal with your claim?

  • Experts

Our solicitors are independently recognised in legal directories as one of the highest ranking law firms for housing and tenant law in the UK.

  • Understanding

Our lawyers understand how important the boundary lines are and will work very hard to achieve a positive outcome for you.

  • Excellent Track-record

This area of law is extremely complex. You can trust out solicitors have an excellent track record for successfully negotiating the lines.

After negotiation land which belonged to our client was returned to her.

Our clients purchased 6 fields from their neighbour. Their neighbour then sold adjoining land (which included a farm and a bit of road) to a third party. Unfortunately, the plan attached to the conveyance to the third party contained a small area of land which had already been sold to our clients. The third party then sold on to a 4th party who registered their land to include the small area. After checking the title deeds and negotiation, it was accepted that some land belonged to the client.

The outcome:

Voluntary first registration was made for our clients.

Frequently asked questions

My neighbour has put up a fence between our gardens. I think it is encroaching on my land. Can I do anything about it?

Disputes between neighbours can be stressful, as emotions can get the better of people, but you need to keep in mind that you will need to have an ongoing relationship with your neighbour. It is therefore important to remain objective at all times, we know this is hard, but this will allow you to avoid incurring a disproportionate amount of legal costs.

The starting point for any property dispute over ownership is to refer to the title deeds and any plans. However, in the majority of cases, boundaries are not clearly defined in the deeds. In this event, you may need the assistance of an expert surveyor to help parties determine where the boundary.

The responsibility for maintaining any boundary fence will depend on where it lies, what the title deeds say, what an expert may determine to be the boundary and historic actions of maintenance.

If in doubt, you should seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible before you interfere with boundaries.

I am having works done which impact on the party wall with the neighbours. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

If you have instructed an architect then they should be able to identify if a party wall exists and whether the works are likely to impact the party wall. If so you will need to enter into a Party Wall Agreement (under the Party Wall Act 1996) with your adjoining neighbour.

The Agreement should provide for a surveyor to inspect the property before the works and post completion of the works to identify any damage caused by your works to the party wall.

We can advise on the mechanics and enforcement of Party Wall agreements. In the appropriate circumstances we can also take injunction action and issue a claim for damages.

I had use of a path owned by my neighbours to access my garage at the back of my garden. My neighbours have now put up a locked gate which has prevented me from accessing my garage. Can they do this?

The starting position is to check the title deeds for the two properties to see if there are any clauses or terms in the deeds which give you a right of way.

If a right of way does exist then you can take action to enforce your rights, which may include obtaining an injunction requiring your neighbour to remove the gate or provide you with access.

If no right of way was recorded in the title deeds, then you need to establish historical use of the path. Depending on how long you have owned your property, you may need to speak to previous owners of your property to establish how long your property has had the benefit of the path.

These can be very complicated matters and you should seek specialist advice as soon as possible.

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call us on:

    Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

    Phone:0808 231 6369
    Fax:020 7388 2106
    Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
    180 North Gower Street
    NW1 2NB