About Aneka Thirurajah
Aneka Thirurajah is an Associate in the Crime Department and has recently been named as a Finalist for the ‘Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year’ Awards in the Criminal Defence Category. Aneka has undertaken a wide range of work during her time at HJA and is an accredited duty solicitor, allowing her to represent duty clients at the police station and Magistrates’ Courts.
Aneka is currently working on two public inquiries – Post Office Horizon IT Inquiry and Undercover Policing Inquiry, helping to represent over 100 core participants across both inquiries. Aneka acts for those who have suffered grave miscarriages of justice and has been commended by both clients and Counsel for her quiet calm, diligence and compassion.
Prior to her work on these two inquiries, Aneka undertook a large volume of protest work, and was a key member of the protest team at HJA. As a litigator, Aneka prepared a number of multi-handed cases, including a matter that was case stated by the Director of Public Prosecutions. This followed an acquittal of a multi-handed protest case at the Magistrates’ Court for which she both litigated and advocated on. She has an excellent trial record as an advocate and as part of work on the protest team, has also dealt with breaches of injunctions at the High Court.
"I had an excellent experince with Hodge Jones and Allen Solicitors. I was working with Aneka as my solicitor and she was so helpful and kind, but most of all she was extremely professional and knowledgable. She was very reassuring through the whole process and I really can't thank her enough. Highly recommend Hodge Jones and Allen as a firm, and Aneka as a solicitor."
R v Heyatawin (2021) – High Court case involving breaches of injunctions.
R v DSEi (2022) – Aneka represented 4 of 9 Defendants during a four day Magistrates’ Court trial. All Defendants were acquitted.
R v Oates (2022) – Magistrates’ Court case where defendants charged with causing criminal damage for spraying Chalk paint as part of a peaceful protest, were acquitted.
DPP v Bailey (2022) – Aneka represented all 6 Respondents on this case stated matter, following their acquittal at the Magistrates’ Court for aggravated trespass. This is now one of the leading cases on aggravated trespass.
Post Office Horizon IT – Aneka helps to represent 10 sub-postmasters and mistresses, many of whom were the wrongfully convicted in the Criminal Courts and suffered unimaginable consequences as a result of this.
Undercover Policing Inquiry – Aneka helps to represent over 100 core participants affected by undercover policing over several decades.
- Aneka Thirurajah was my criminal defence solicitor who supported me for 5 months during the period I was falsely accused of ABH. She attended the police station with me for my interview, prepared my statement and advised me every step of the way, explaining everything thoroughly. Aneka really knows her stuff, is extremely polite, pleasant and yet is no push over. Aneka’s advice prevented me from possibly being arrested at home (after I became completely frustrated by the ridiculous nature of the acusations) and made it clear to the police that whilst we would comply, things would be done our way. Aneka continued this approach over several months and knows how far to push things, what things are worth pushing for and more importantly what things are not. She did not hesitate in informing the questioning officer, that his line of questioning was already covered by our (very well prepared) statement. Today the case was dropped and the police enquiry has come to an end. I would 100% recommend Aneka as a passionate, learned, bright criminal defence solicitor, who will be in great demand in the future.
- “I had an excellent experince with Hodge Jones and Allen Solicitors. I was working with Aneka as my solicitor and she was so helpful and kind, but most of all she was extremely professional and knowledgable. She was very reassuring through the whole process and I really can’t thank her enough. Highly recommend Hodge Jones and Allen as a firm, and Aneka as a solicitor.”
Career & Personal Interests
- Hodge Jones & Allen, Associate, May 2023 – present
- Hodge Jones & Allen, Solicitor, March 2021 – April 2023
- Hodge Jones & Allen, Trainee Solicitor, September 2019 – March 2021
- Hodge Jones & Allen, Paralegal, September 2018 – September 2019
- Hodge Jones & Allen, Crime Support/Paralegal, June 2017 – September 2018
- Women in Criminal Law
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- LPC MSc (Commendation), University of Law, 2017 – 2019
- Law LLB, 2:1, Oxford Brookes University, 2014 – 2017