I am a solicitor who specialises in representing bereaved families at inquests and in civil claims following the death of a loved one in prison or police custody. I currently work alongside Jocelyn Cockburn and have previously worked with Alice Hardy. I also work on actions against the police, with a particular interest in challenging the police when young people have been poorly treated, as well as other human rights related claims and challenges against public authorities. The majority of the clients that I work with rely on legal aid funding.
Before switching careers, I worked for a youth work charity to raise the voices of young people in the inner-city and informing and advising politicians and the wider public of the challenges they face. I co-authored an influential report on the risks faced by thousands of girls associated with gangs. Previously, I worked in central government as an economist in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. I worked closely with 10 Downing Street to prepare the Prime Minister and other Ministers for G8 and G20 Summits.
- “Aston was absolutely amazing, he was understanding, empathetic, and overly helpful and informative through each stage of my case. Aston is so professional with a great ability to connect on a human level, he’s like a friend at your side fighting your corner to get the best outcome for you. I deeply feel Aston is a great solicitor… Thank you, Aston.” Rosemarie Farmer
- “The advice I received was well reasoned and directed at achieving the best possible outcome. My lawyer was able to ease my concerns, set out the options, and constructively guide me though what ended up being a lengthy process. I felt I could trust my lawyer, and felt confident about the discussion we made on the case. In the end the result was a good one. Also the work he has done on the case to share documents so we always know what was going on with the case at different times was A*. Thank you Aston Luff from Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors. From me, my mum and my sister for the hard work that you did on the case to make the inquest run smoothly and to get justice for the family at its hard time.It was like we have someone fighting for the small people. Thanks so much Aston.” Wayne Ireson
Memberships & Appointments
- The Police Action Lawyers Group
- The Inquest Lawyers Group
- Solicitor – Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors (2019 – Present)
- Solicitor and Trainee Solicitor – Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors (2017 – 2019)
- Political and Advocacy Officer – XLP (Urban Youth Work Charity) (2013-2016)
- Economist, International Development Team – Foreign and Commonwealth Office (2011-2012)
- University of Cardiff – Police Station Representative Accreditation (2019)
- BPP (Holborn) – Legal Practice Course (2016-2017), Distinction
- BPP (Waterloo) – Graduate Diploma in Law (Part-Time) (2014-2016), Distinction
- University of Bath – Economics and International Development BSc (2009-2013), 1st Class