I am a solicitor who specialises in representing bereaved families at inquests and in civil claims following the death of a loved one in prison or police custody. I currently work alongside Jocelyn Cockburn. I also work on actions against the police, with a particular interest in challenging the police when young people have been poorly treated. I am an accredited police station representative, advising members of the public who have been arrested or have been asked to be interviewed by the police. The majority of the clients that I work with rely on legal aid funding.
I joined Hodge Jones & Allen as a trainee solicitor in 2017 and worked with Nigel Richardson in Criminal Defence, Jacqueline Major in Family law and Jayesh Kunwardia in Social Housing before concluding my training with Alice Hardy in Civil Liberties.
Before switching careers, I worked for a youth work charity and listened to the concerns and challenges of young people in the inner-city before informing and advising politicians and the wider public. I co-authored a report on the risks faced by thousands of girls associated with gangs that featured on all major news outlets including the front page of the BBC website. Previously, I worked in central government as an economist in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. I worked closely with 10 Downing Street to prepare the Prime Minister and other Ministers for G8 and G20 Summits.
- BPP (Holborn) – Legal Practice Course (2016-2017), Distinction
- BPP (Waterloo) – Graduate Diploma in Law (Part-Time) (2014-2016), Distinction
- University of Bath – Economics and International Development BSc (2009-2013), 1st Class
- Solicitor and Trainee Solicitor – Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors (2017 – Present)
- Political and Advocacy Officer – XLP (Urban Youth Work Charity) (2013-2016)
- Economist, International Development Team – Foreign and Commonwealth Office (2011-2012)
- “Aston was the [trainee] solicitor that dealt with my case. He was absolutely amazing, he was understanding, empathetic, and overly helpful and informative through each stage of my case . Aston is so professional with a great ability to connect on a human level, he’s like a friend at your side fighting your corner to get the best outcome for you. I deeply feel Aston is a great solicitor and is /will be an asset to any firm he decides to work at. I wish him great success in all his future endeavours. Thank you, Aston.” Rosemarie Farmer
- “Big up Aston – he’s been amazing with the clients, on top of every part of the papers and generally an enormous help in discussing ideas and tactics. A brilliant addition to your team.” Tom Stoate of Garden Court Chambers
Memberships & Appointments
- The Police Action Lawyers Group
- The Inquest Lawyers Group