About Isobel Lovett
Isobel is a highly experienced solicitor dedicating her time to gaining compensation and justice for people who have developed mesothelioma and other asbestos related diseases.
Isobel has worked in the North of England for the majority of her legal career but, moved to London to set up the Asbestos Team at Hodge Jones & Allen in 2015. Isobel recognises and supports the values of Hodge Jones & Allen as has committed her professional time and energies to fighting for justice and compensation for her clients over the last 28 years.
For Isobel, the most rewarding part of her work is helping her clients and their families through difficult times in their lives, providing holistic, legal support. Her legal career includes working with and leading asbestos and disease teams for Irwin Mitchell, in Newcastle and Ashton Morton Slack, in Sheffield.
Through her career, Isobel has represented clients who have developed mesothelioma and other asbestos diseases from within a wide variety of occupations ranging from fitters in shipyards, steel and railway works, through nurses, doctors and teachers to women who have been exposed to asbestos through use of talc and cosmetics. She is known for tackling difficult cases and winning them.
Isobel is a recommended lawyer by the Legal 500, 2023. She is also ranked in Chambers UK, 2023.
"Isobel Lovett is very careful and thorough. She always has the best interests of her clients at heart and is not afraid to step on toes for their benefit." "She is very kind and understanding under very difficult circumstances." - Chambers Uk, 2023
"Isobel Lovett has a clear grasp of applicable legal principles, which is allied to an exemplary manner with clients who, rightly, have every confidence in her. She is a first-rate litigator who is always ‘at the top of her game’." - Legal 500, 2023
“A very efficient and highly professional instructing solicitor who has a wealth of experience representing claimants in this very specialised area of mesothelioma claims.” “Approachable, sympathetic and knowledgeable.” – Chambers UK, 2022
“‘Isobel Lovett is a first-rate litigator with an in-depth knowledge of asbestos injury claims. She is prepared to take on and win very difficult claims. Clients rightly have confidence that every effort will be taken on their behalf. In addition, Isobel has an excellent rapport with clients – this is particularly important in terminal claims. If I had to sum Isobel up it would be ‘one of the best in this field’”. Legal 500, 2022
“extremely experienced who handles some incredible work”
Chambers UK, 2021
“highly experienced in the field of asbestos litigation” who “handles a range of other work-related illnesses. Isobel Lovett is the name to note for mesothelioma cases and has a wealth of experience in asbestos product claims.”
Legal 500, 2020
‘first-class litigator’ whose client care ‘is second to none‘.
Legal 500, 2019
- Our client’s husband had died from mesothelioma. She had instructed other solicitors to bring a claim against his former employers whose insurers denied liability and so the case was turned down by them. We took the case on, issued a witness appeal and obtained evidence to prove exposure to asbestos at work with one of the employers whose insurers then conceded liability. As no settlement offer was forthcoming, we issued court proceedings, obtained judgement for our client and an interim payment of £50,000. Shortly before the final hearing, Isobel negotiated a six–figure settlement, achieving an increase of £20,000 on the first offer made.
- Isobel was instructed by a lady with mesothelioma. She was unaware of asbestos exposure though her own work but it became apparent she had been exposed by washing her son’s work clothes. She died shortly after we met and I represented her family at the inquest. We sued the son’s employer whose insurers denied liability, arguing that asbestos products had been largely phased out and that they offered laundry facilities; therefore, any exposure to our late client would have been negligible. Isobel traced witnesses who refuted the insurer’s claim and having disclosed that, and preparing for trial, received a first settlement proposal. After further negotiations, her client accepted an increased settlement which they felt did some justice to their mother’s suffering.
- Isobel was instructed by a gentleman who had developed mesothelioma but was unsure where he had been exposed to asbestos. He had served in the merchant navy, not an engineer but in catering. My enquiries revealed degraded asbestos lagging on steam pipes connected to equipment he used. He also maintained supplies on board, including asbestos products. This was a difficult claim as it involved low exposure levels but having initially denied liability following the issue of court proceedings, faced with my client’s evidence, the Defendant’s insurer capitulated and the claim was settled for a six-figure sum, out of court, during my client’s lifetime.
- Isobel acted for a gentlemen who had been a joiner who, during his apprenticeship and with subsequent employers, had been exposed to asbestos dust and developed asbestosis as a result. He had machined asbestos board to make fire doors, replaced asbestos ceiling tiles, worked alongside laggers applying and removing asbestos insulation. We sued 3 of his former employers, one of whom admitted liability. After engineers’ reports Isobel negotiated settlement with the remaining employers, settling the claim on a provisional basis for a five-figure sum for the effects of the condition to date, with the option to seek a further award if his condition deteriorates or he develops another asbestos disease., providing security against future risks.
- “My husband was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2020. Where he worked years ago there was asbestos but they weren’t issued with masks . Consequently years later he caught Mesothelioma, which can lie dormant for many years. He started making a claim against the company but unfortunately he died before it was settled. I continued with it and with the help of the above company won it. Isobel, who dealt with the claim, was extremely helpful and understanding.
- “Isobel Lovett is professional, friendly, reliable. I cannot speak highly enough of her, just a lovely person and I would like to say thank you.” – Michael O’Brien
- “Having had dealings with Hodge Jones & Allen, I found them to be very helpful, professional and confidential. I was kept informed throughout my dealings with them and I would highly recommend them.”
- “I would like to express my sincere thanks to Hodge Jones & Allen, in particular to partner Isobel Lovett who has spent a great deal of time and effort over the past 16 months to achieve a successful Compensation Claim for me.
At a very dark point in my life Isobel patiently guided me through the rather bewildering process of making a Claim in respect of an asbestos-related illness resulting from my early working life almost 60 years ago.
After initial contact via the Support Group, Isobel made a ‘Home Visit’ and my wife and I found her very easy to talk to, given the stressful circumstances.
Once we’d discussed what would and might happen in the case and furnished Isobel with copies of various documents she required, we felt so relieved that ‘someone was going to help’. Isobel kept us updated throughout the process, was thorough, knowledgable and professional yet managed to remain approachable, sympathetic and encouraging.
Although my case took over a year, it has ultimately proved successful and I can only praise and thank the diligence and professionalism of Isobel Lovett and her team. I recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone who sadly finds themselves in a similar position.
My wife and I are so grateful for the help, support and kindness shown to us at this very difficult time in our lives, we appreciate the expertise and friendship and offer our heartfelt thanks.”
- “Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to you and your teams’ hard work fighting mums side over the last two years and keeping us up to date every step of the way. Don’t know what we would of done without you and your guidance.” – Mark Lester and family
"Thank you for the news. I am pleased Tim and I will not have to endure more upset going to court over this very sad matter. I thank you for your expertise and great effort on our behalf. You are so good as well as very kind to us and I am truly grateful to you."
“Very professional and focused throughout the process. Isobel Lovett knew what was required to win my case and applied herself to the task. I would recommend Hodge Jones and Allen without hesitation.”
“I would like to express my thanks for the efforts you are your team have put in to obtain this most satisfactory result. Your advice and negotiations have been most welcome. I would not hesitate in using your services again or recommend you to others.”
“I am so grateful to you for all your great help and assistance over such a sad and difficult matter. Your Kindness to both my husband and myself together with your expertise is greatly admired and appreciated”
“Thank you so much. I was a complete mess when you took me on. I have recovered to some extent and, with the money, at least that part of my worries are solved. So thank you with all my heart.”
Memberships & Appointments
- Fellow of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Member of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel
- Trustee of National Lung Cancer Forum for Nurses
Working with Support Groups
Over the years, Isobel has come to know and support many of the asbestos support and community groups around the country, including SARAG, Mesothelioma UK and Asbestos Victims Support Groups Forum UK. They all offer an important network for victims and their families and campaign relentlessly, to bring about change when needed and to provide a co-ordinated voice.
Articles & Publications
Isobel co-wrote an article for the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), reporting on a successful Court of Appeal case I handled (Cox v Rolls Royce Industrial Power (India) Ltd.
"highly experienced in the field of asbestos litigation" who “handles a range of other work-related illnesses. Isobel Lovett is the name to note for mesothelioma cases and has a wealth of experience in asbestos product claims.” Legal 500, 2020
Isobel is an active mountain biker and cyclist. Exploring London on my bike whilst staying safe is my latest challenge. Her other pastimes of yoga, knitting, sewing, silver craft and interior design help me to relax and unwind.