About Susie Labinjoh
Susie is the Head of the Civil Liberties & Human Rights Team at Hodge Jones & Allen. She started as a trainee solicitor at Hodge Jones & Allen in 1997, was admitted as a solicitor in 1999, became an associate in 2002, a partner in 2005.
Susie specialises in civil actions against the police and prison service and related human rights claims; and compensation claims for victims of miscarriage of justice and public law challenges related to these areas.
Susie is one of the leading lawyers dealing with compensation claims for miscarriage of justice under s133 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 having dealt with high profile cases including the M25 Three and the Bridgewater Four.
Susie has been exceptionally committed to political protest cases and represent a number of protestors. I am currently representing Claimants arrested at:
- Critical Mass on the opening day of the Olympics (July 2012)
- Protest held outside Colnbrook immigration removal centre. Protestors were subsequently prosecuted, in claims for assault, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution as well as Articles 3, 8, 10 &11 ECHR (February 2012)
- Anti- G20 demonstrations
- TUC Day of Action (November 2011)
- The Royal Wedding (April 2011 )
Since 2005, Susie has been on the advisory board of the Miscarriage of Justice Support Service, a division of the Royal Courts of Justice Citizens Advice Bureau, which was set up to provide free advice and assistance for victims of miscarriage of justice.
Susie is ranked as a ‘leading individual’ in Chambers UK Guide 2022 and a ‘recommended lawyer’ by the Legal 500 2022.
She is also ranked as a “Super Lawyer” in the London Super Lawyers magazine 2013.
"Susie Labinjoh deals with really complex work. She is meticulous and dedicated to her clients." "She is really straightforward to work with and she comes up with fantastic points that others wouldn't think of." "Susie is a very calm head and is really effective." "She's a real authority on miscarriage of justice cases and has built strong client relationships." Chambers UK, 2022
"‘Susie Labinjoh is an outstanding civil liberties lawyer, one of the best in the field." Legal 500, 2022
“extremely respected and particularly experienced at miscarriage of justice cases.”
Chambers UK 2021
“Susie Labinjoh has unrivalled experience in relation to miscarriage of justice compensation litigation and is very experienced and tactically astute.”
Legal 500, 2021
“knowledgeable and assertive litigator with great client care skills.”
Chambers UK 2019
“Her attention to detail is second to none, she has fantastic client service.”
Chambers UK 2018
“She is totally committed to clients and fights to get more for them.”
Chambers UK 2017
“Fights to the end for her clients and gets great results.”
Legal 500, 2016
- The New Cross Fire 2nd Inquest representing 11 of the 13 families
- Compensation claims to the Home Office on behalf of the victims of the Carl Bridgewater miscarriage of justice
- The victims of the M25 Three miscarriage of justice
- R (Hickey&Ors) v Independent Assessor, a case challenging the assessment of damages under the statutory scheme
- R (Niazi&Ors) v SSHD, a case challenging the abolition of the discretionary scheme
- Roach & Ors v Home Office. an important decision on the recoverability of inquest costs in subsequent civil proceedings
- R (Ali & Ors) v SSJ a case which will determine the eligibility for compensation for miscarriage of justice
- Amin & Mubarek v Imran Khan & Partners a professional negligence case.
- “The team was really professional, efficient and friendly. They always kindly took the time to explain anything about the case.”
- “Excellent. They are knowledgeable, they listen, and they have passion for what they do. They really worked hard on my case and we won because they care.”
- “Fantastic service and excellent outcomes!”
- “Very happy with the experience I had with this firm. Although it was a very long, drawn out case, they kept us informed periodically of the progress and it reached a successful ending.”
"Her attention to detail is second to none, she has fantastic client service." Chambers UK
Membership & Appointments
- The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- The Police Action Lawyers Group
- The Miscarriage of Justice Lawyers Group
"extremely respected and particularly experienced at miscarriage of justice cases." Chambers UK
Career & Personal Interests
- Member, Hodge Jones & Allen – 2009 -2018
- Partner, Hodge Jones & Allen – 2005
- Associate, Hodge Jones & Allen – 2002
- Admitted as solicitor – 1999
- Training Contract at Hodge Jones & Allen 1997 – 1999
- College of Law – 1996-1997 Legal Practice Course
- University of Westminster, 1994 – 1996 Graduate Diploma in Law
- University of Hull, 1986 – 1989 Bsc (Hons)
Running, Film & Theatre.