Vanessa is a partner in the Family Law team, which she joined in April 2019 from a leading central London firm. Her practice encompasses all areas of family law, with a particular focus on the financial issues arising from relationship breakdown, pre-marital agreements and leave to remove children cases. She aims to reach a negotiated outcome where possible, but also recognises the importance of strategic litigation if the circumstances require it.
As a family law solicitor and mediator Vanessa encourages clients to carefully consider the best approach to their matter. Her particular experience includes:
- Pre-marital agreements for couples who expect to inherit or establish future wealth to those with assets in excess of £50 million.
- Leave to remove children matters. She has represented many parents on their successful applications to relocate permanently to another country with their children, including China, Germany and Australia.
- Divorce and the related financial issues from modest asset cases to high net-worth.
- Dealing with high value pensions on divorce, including NHS pensions.
- Separation agreements and cohabitation agreements to regulate the financial and living arrangements between couples.
- Private law children matters.
- Schedule 1 applications for financial provision for children of unmarried parents.
- Financial proceedings on divorce “I would hand on heart recommend Vanessa to anyone who is looking for a solicitor to deal with family matters. Her professionalism, knowledge of law and negotiating skills are exceptional. Vanessa’s attention to detail far outweighs any solicitor I have ever encountered”
- Leave to remove “Thank you so much for your great support and everything you did for me. I am so grateful. I feel a bit sad about the fact that you won’t be around on my daily basis. Thank you again “
- Mediation “Thank you for your mediation services. Happy to comment that I found your approach very professional.”
- Prenuptial agreement “Great working with you on this.”
Articles and Publication
- New Law Journal – The split: relocation & the child’s best interests
Education and Recommendations
- Legal 500 2018 and 2019 for her legal and mediation practice respectively.
- Family law associate of the year (silver award) in the City Wealth Awards 2017.
- College of Law, London – Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course (commendation and distinction)
- University of Westminster – Broadcast Journalism MA (Hons)
- University of Bristol – Politics and Philosophy BA (Hons)
- Partner at Hodge Jones Allen – 2019
- Associate and Senior Associate at Hunters, Lincoln’s Inn – 2015 – 2019
- Associate at May, May & Merrimans, Gray’s Inn – 2012 -2015
- Trainee and Solicitor at Silverman Sherliker – 2007 – 2012
Memberships & Appointments
- Resolution – an organisation for family lawyers committed to a non-adversarial approach. Vanessa sits on their Working Party for Litigants in Person.
- Trustee for the West London Centre for Counselling.