About Nina Ali
Nina was formerly a qualified cardiology nurse and qualified as a solicitor in 2002, having trained at Hodge Jones & Allen. She specialised in medical negligence from the outset and ran a comprehensive range of cases in this area. She has a special interest in cardiac and fatal cases. She also has a keen interest in psychiatric cases and is committed to working towards ensuring the same levels of accountability that prevail in general medicine to this currently very poorly represented area.
She is a Law Society Accredited Clinical Negligence Panel Member and fluent in Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi. Nina is ranked in Chambers UK, 2024 and Legal 500, 2024.
Nina was also recognised by Chambers UK as EDI Champion (Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Champion). She is one of the nine lawyers who were recognised for their above and beyond contribution to equality, and their work with people who are in some way vulnerable, or have historically been mistreated.
Nina Ali received a Lifetime Achievement Award from The Society of Asian Lawyers in December 2021.
"She is a force of nature who will take on any cause and fight to the death. She gets fantastic results and does the cases that others shrink from." "Nina is excellent to work with." - Chambers UK, 2024
"Nina Ali never knows when she’s beaten – because she never is." - Legal 500, 2024
“She is a campaigning lawyer and is involved with families pushing for better mental healthcare; she is terrific with clients.” “Nina Ali always handles cases with great compassion and ability.” – Chambers UK, 2023
“I would praise her tenacity, calmness under pressure and persistence in pursuing the interests of the client in difficulty.” – Chambers UK, 2023
“She is a brilliant solicitor who cares passionately about her clients.” “She is committed to getting the right result for her clients.” – Chambers UK, 2022
” very experienced and works well with experts, clients and counsel to achieve extraordinary results.”
Chambers UK, 2021
“’a shrewd and committed litigator’ with experience in high-value brain and spinal injury claims and expertise in psychiatric cases”
Legal 500 UK
- “Many thanks to Nina and all the team for working so hard for me. I really do appreciate it. Rest assured if I ever again find myself in the unfortunate position to require legal assistance I will contact Hodge Jones & Allen without hesitation.” Ms J.L.
- “Thank you for your letter and kind words….I would just like to say a big thank you to you and your team for all your efforts, guidance and patience, your thoughtful advice was truly appreciated (by both my mother and myself!). I wish you all the very best.” “I cannot thank you enough and feel fortunate to have had your kind support and expertise which kept me going. To have yourself and Priya during the court sessions was made tolerable because of you both.” Barbara
- “The service I received was absolutely brilliant.” Rachel M
“…Mum and I wanted to thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We are so indebted to you, Nina and the whole team for believing in our case in the beginning and for your unwavering and relentless hard work, support and guidance. It was a really difficult time and knowing you believed in us, really helped us through.
Words can’t really do justice to how appreciative we are to you all and I hope one day our paths cross again over happier circumstances. Please take care, keep safe and I look forward to the day I get to thank you in person.”
” I’d like to thank you once again for the splendid work you did in seeing us through the last few traumatic years; we couldn’t have done it without you. The inquest would have been a quite different affair without your involvement.”
“I really can’t convey how grateful I am for the abundance of kindness, support and advice you have so warmly and openly provided. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of work you have undertaken! You really were extraordinarily helpful, generous and patient during what was a very bleak time for all involved. So, truly, for everything you have done, thank you.”
“I was trying to discover the facts of the death of my daughter in Croydon University hospital and the negligence and poor treatment which led to her death. I had tried the direct approach to the hospital complaints system but, met with delays, excuses and avoidance of the issues I raised. I tried to find a solicitor who would help but they all explained that as my daughter had no dependents there would be no compensation and that was how they would get paid. So it was just me against the Goliath of the NHS in the form of Croydon University Hospital. Then a lady from Mencap introduced me to Hodge Jones and Allen, and the team of Nina Ali, Jason Tang et al offered to take my case as a pro bono case. They were unfailingly kind, truthful and very supportive in what was an emotional and very difficult time. They gave me hope when others had not and I felt that it was no longer just me against Goliath. I appreciated the honesty of their advice and the fact that they kept on trying to get the answers I needed. I was never interested in compensation and the team never made that their motive. They did actually win me some compensation and gave that to me instead of keeping it to pay some of the bill I had cost them. They just kept doing a very professional case in order to get at the truth. They won the case for me and I can never thank them enough, because in winning I feel my daughter’s death has been proved to be a result of Croydon University Hospital’s poor treatment and negligence. And that was all I asked for in the first place.”
“Just would like to say thank you for everything you have done. I have just been told that K’s grave will be completed for his first anniversary, I have made my home pretty comfortable. Once again thank you so much, I just wish he was here to have enjoyed it.”
“I don’t have the words to adequately express my gratitude to Nina Ali and her team for their help in my search for justice for my late sister.”
Membership & Appointments
- The Law Society Clinical Negligence Panel
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
"I don't have the words to adequately express my gratitude to Nina Ali and her team for their help in my search for justice for my late sister."
Articles & Publications
- Solicitors Journal – Tackling a deny, delay, defend culture
- Huffington post – The NHS is imploding: Ministers must focus, September 2016
- New Law Journal – No room for negotiation, January 2016
- The Barrister – The Government should think again on fixed fees in clinical negligence cases argues Nina Ali, partner, Hodge Jones & Allen, January 2016
Career & Personal Interests
- Partner, Hodge Jones & Allen (2010)
- Hodge Jones & Allen (2000-06 and 2008-present)
- Boyes Turner, Reading (2006-08)
- RGN The Royal Berkshire Hospital; BA (Hons) London University
- Dip. Law Holborn Law College
- LPC London Guildhall University
In 2009, Nina set up a UK-based children’s charity, Millie Mittoo Children’s Projects. The organisation’s first project has been to set up a small home for female orphans in Pakistan, which is running very successfully.