About Cormac McDonough
Cormac acts for clients who have been subjected to unlawful treatment by the police and other state bodies. He specialises in the representation of the bereaved families of those who have died in police and prison custody. He has brought countless successful claims for damages against the police following assaults, unlawful arrests, prosecutions and human rights breaches. He represents victims of miscarriages of justice in their applications of compensation and associated judicial review proceedings.
Cormac also has an interest in data protection law and has recovered damages for clients whose personal information was misused by the police and other state bodies.
"Cormac is an excellent solicitor who is really bright and dedicated." "Cormac is clever, courageous and not afraid to take on really cutting-edge cases." "His knowledge of the detail of any case is very comprehensive." - Chambers UK, 2023
“Cormac manages to appear laid back, but he is absolutely switched on and his mastery of detail is second to none.”
“He really gets into the details of his cases and spots points that other people would not spot.” “He is very intelligent and to the point.” Chambers UK, 2022
“He was extremely thorough, really proactive and left no stone unturned. I could not imagine anyone better!”
- “I had no knowledge of this company until I picked them randomly from an internet search and I highly rate them,they dealt with my case which involved my Dad’s death in Prison really sensitively. Every member of staff that I spoke to was always kind and unjudgemental during what was a difficult time for me.
They made sure that I was kept informed during every step of my case and took the time to explain everything so that I understood clearly what was happening and could make informed decisions. My solicitor was always happy to answer my questions no matter how trivial and if he wasn’t available straightaway he was always quick to get back to me.
Nothing can bring back my Dad but my solicitor and his team have got the best possible results for me which is something I couldn’t have done without their help.
If I ever have need for legal advice again then Hodge Jones & Allen will be my first port of call.”
- “HJA were incredibly helpful. Extremely patient, kind and knowledgeable. I would recommend Sasha and Cormac to anyone.”
- “A huge thank you to both Stephen Simblet from Garden Court Law & Cormac McDonough from Hodge Jones & Allen on their fantastic work in the last 3 years and the amazing support they have given my family with the inquest into my cousin’s death in prison.”
"Cormac McDonough has been extremely helpful... He explains the law in simple language. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided."
- “Mr Cormac McDonough has been extremely helpful and very brilliant. He is very humble and respectful. he has excellent customer service skills. He explains the law in simple language. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided and will recommend him to anyone.”
- “Cormac was professional and personable, focused but never short. He explained complex issues well and gave excellent advice while listening carefully to me. He was extremely thorough, really proactive and left no stone unturned. I could not imagine anyone better! Sensitive and determined.”
Memberships & Appointments
- Police Action Lawyers Group
"Cormac was professional and personable... He explained complex issues well and gave excellent advice."
Career & Personal Interests
- Senior Associate, Hodge Jones & Allen: 2019 to date
- Associate, Hodge Jones & Allen: 2017 – 2019
- Admitted as a Solicitor, 2013
- Trainee Solicitor, Hodge Jones & Allen: 2011-2013
- Paralegal, Hodge Jones & Allen: 2009-2011
- McKeowns Solicitors: 2006-2009
- LPC, University of Law, London Bloomsbury: September 2008 – 2010
- GDL, College of Law, Chester: 2006 – 2008
- BSc Hons, Queens University Belfast: 2000 – 2004
Cormac enjoys travel, football, live music, collecting vinyl records and spending time with his young children.