About Hannah Britz
Hannah joined Hodge Jones & Allen in 2008 as a trainee solicitor and qualified as a solicitor in 2010.
Hannah’s main areas of work are defending possession proceedings based on rent arrears and anti-social behaviour, homelessness reviews and appeals and bringing disrepair claims. Hannah has particular experience helping clients with complex needs including mental health and alcohol issues, including cases where clients lack mental capacity. Hannah is always determined to achieve the best possible results for her clients, whether that is securing suitable accommodation, preventing eviction or getting repairs done.
"I HAD HANNAH FOR MY DISREPAIR [MATTER]. SHE WAS AMAZING, FIGHTING MY CASE WHICH WAS NOT EASY...I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS LAW FIRM TO EVERYONE."
- Secured £29,000 in compensation and got the landlord to carry out repairs for a client who had suffered years of severe damp and leaks in her basement home.
- Acted for a client in a homelessness review and appeal concerning the suitability of accommodation offered by the Council. The client had refused an offer of a 13th floor flat because she suffered from claustrophobia following traumatic experiences during wartime in her homeland. As her claustrophobia was undiagnosed the Council believed the accommodation was suitable. Hannah obtained expert medical evidence diagnosing post-traumatic stress disorder and claustrophobia and won the appeal at the county court.
- Represented a client in a possession claim based on rent arrears. Hannah identified that the client’s home suffered from serious disrepair including damp and brought a counterclaim for disrepair. The client spoke poor English and was having significant problems with her welfare benefits. Hannah assisted the client in obtaining backdated housing benefit which wiped out her rent arrears. Hannah settled the possession claim with an agreement to carry out repairs and pay compensation.
- “My appreciation to HB [Hannah Britz] /HJA and team for their assistance in a disrepair issue. With HJA’s diligent representation, my Landlord agreed to all works HJA insisted on.”
- “From the outset I have received a first class level of service, I felt that I was in good hands and my instructions were being adhered to at every stage. I would definitely use this firm again and again!”
- “I had Hannah for my disrepair [matter]. She was amazing, fighting my case which was not easy… I would recommend this law firm to everyone.”
- “I was assisted in my Housing Disrepair case by HJA. They were very supportive, most works have been completed and we settled before the court date. I would recommend HJA .”
- “Hanna Britz, really help me with my disrepair case. The best and most professional solicitor I’ve come across. Would recommend her highly.”
- “Thank you so much for all your help over the last 2 years. What would I have done without you”
- “Hannah Britz, housing solicitor at Hodge, Jones & Allen is an outstanding and remarkable legal professional with a simply exceptional talent in Housing Law. Hannah, not only has one of the best legal brains that I’ve seen in action, but she has fought “tooth & nail” for me over the last year every single step of the way. Hannah picked up on every small detail that added to the strength of my case and I can imagine, from the other side’s point of view, she is a force to be reckoned with. Finding myself faced with homelessness later in life has been one of the most frightening, difficult and challenging situations that I’ve found myself in and I can honestly say that it almost destroyed me and I do not believe that I would have made it through the other side without Hannah Britz – because in addition to Hannah’s brilliant mastery of the actual legal process, she is also, from my point of view, one of most compassionate, kind and patient professionals that I have ever met in my entire life who also explained everything to me in simple understandable language. If you have a housing crisis of any kind then I highly recommend, without a single exception, Hannah Britz at Hodge Jones & Allen.”
- “When I think back to this time last year… the general hellishness of my situation, I can honestly say you were a tower of strength and intelligence and support and kindness… you changed my life”
Career & Memberships
For several years during and after university Hannah worked in various community mental health teams in South London. After completing her legal studies and before joining Hodge Jones & Allen she worked as a paralegal in Mental Health Law, where she advocated for clients in hospital managers’ hearings and tribunals. Hannah also volunteered on the legal advice helpline for the charity Mind.
- Qualified Solicitor, Hodge Jones & Allen, September 2010
- Hodge Jones & Allen, September 2007
- Archers Solicitors, 2006 – 2007
- MIND, 2005 – 2006
- Toynbee Hall Legal Advice Sessions
- Politics BA (Hons), 2:1, University of Nottingham
- Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course, College of Law London
- Housing Law Practitioners Association