I joined HJA’s Industrial Disease Department in spring of 2016.
I use the law to help bring justice for clients and their families who suffer terrible asbestos-related respiratory diseases caused by negligent employers. My work involves liaising with clients, specialist barristers, medical and health and safety experts, defendant solicitors and coroners, tracing old companies and their insurers, investigating sources of harmful exposure, applying for state benefits, and getting our clients access to new cancer treatment trials, as well as fighting for fair compensation on their behalf.
I have organised numerous events that raise awareness and funds on behalf of the London Asbestos Support Awareness Group (LASAG), Maggie’s Cancer Centre, Mesothelioma UK, Guys and St Thomas’ Hospital, and the British Lung Foundation whose work makes a direct impact to our clients’ lives. I also, volunteer at the Citizens Advice Bureau in Camden and assist housing and employment law solicitors provide free legal advice to the local community.
I launched and maintain HJA’s LGBT+ Network which offers peer support, organises external events on LGBT+ issues, and assists with policy development which actively promotes HJA as a visible LGBT+ friendly organisation providing legal services to clients and creates an inclusive working environment to our staff.
Since setting up the ID team’s twitter profile I have attracted 500 followers and get 5k views on average per week. I am an active tweeter on the effects of asbestos exposure as a global health issue.
- “My husband certainly should not have died from something he encountered when he was so very young. Still seems unbelievable. You and your colleagues have done an excellent job for myself and my family. Thank you” Elizabeth Allen
- I would like to thank and very much recommend Andrew James, Philip Unciano and their team for the great service they provided when claiming for my dads industrial illness, I had constant reassurance and updates all the way, explained in detail and with understanding, I can’t thank them enough for what they have done. Many, many thanks. 5* service. Jo Silk
- Paralegal at Hodge Jones & Allen, 2016 to present
- Paralegal – AA Law Ltd, 2015 – 2015
- Paralegal at Lyons Davidson Solicitors, 2010 – 2015
- Court Reporter at HMCTS Crown Court, Leeds, 2008 -2010
- Level 6 CILEx Diploma in Law and Practice – CILEx Law School, 2016 to present
- Level 3 CILEx Certificate in Law and Practice – CILEx Law School, 2010 – 2014
- BA Popular Music (Hons) – Leeds College of Music, 2005 – 2008
Memberships and Appointments
- Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (ACILEx)
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Musicians’ Union (MU)
- Performance Rights Society (PRS for Music)
In my spare time I am an active musician/performer. I’ve appeared on stage in HJA’s successful theatre productions 2 years in a row which has entertained many and raised money for Millie Mittoo Children’s Projects, a charity which supports homeless orphans in Islamabad.
I sing in the London Contemporary Voices choir and have played trumpet in numerous live gigs and studio recordings across Europe. I’ve been fortunate enough to play with post-rock band Lanterns on the Lake, and perform at Glastonbury Festival 3 times with the touring show Slamboree.