Umay Zahra joined the Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitor’s Social Housing team in March 2020 and is currently working under the supervision of Daniel Fitzpatrick. Prior to this, she was working as a caseworker to Diane Abbott MP where she handled homelessness, disrepair, eviction, immigration and social welfare matters.
She has volunteered with various charities including travelling to Greece to facilitate an empowerment project encouraging creative expression for refugees and migrants. Additionally, she has contributed to challenging the rise of hate crimes in the UK under the UK Coalition for Preventing Genocide under the UN Office for the Prevention of Genocide.
Umay Zahra is particularly interested in improving access to justice for marginalised groups and vulnerable individuals through legal mechanisms, to ensure that basic human rights are upheld and unfair practices are challenged. The saying ‘develop in your heart the feeling of love for your people and let it be a source of kindliness to them’, motivates her to treat all clients with respect and integrity.
- LPC LLM – University of Law, London (2018)
- LLB Law (Hons) – School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (2016)
- Housing Paralegal at Hodge Jones & Allen (2020 – present)
- Caseworker to Rt Hon Diane Abbott MP (2018 – 2019)
- Immigration Paralegal at Majestic Solicitors Ltd (2017 – 2018)
- Intern at Tuckers Solicitors (2017)
Umay Zahra enjoys volunteering with community projects, photography, visiting museums and reading