About Philippa Barton
Philippa qualified as a solicitor in 1987. She specialised in PI and clinical negligence litigation for 20 years before moving to private client law in 2006. She has particular expertise in acting as professional deputy for brain injured clients with personal injury and clinical negligence settlements. She also acts as deputy for clients with dementia, mental health problems and learning disability.
Philippa also acts as expert witness in personal injury litigation to provide the court with details of the likely deputyship costs. She is instructed by both claimants and defendants. Philippa is experienced in the following areas:
- Managing the financial affairs of mentally incapacitated clients, whether as deputy, attorney or trustee
- All aspects of Court of Protection work
- Obtaining probate and administering estates
- Drafting trust deeds, powers of attorney and wills
- PI trusts
She regularly publish articles in Personal Injury journals dealing with mental capacity and deputyship issues as they effect personal injury lawyers. Philippa is recommended in both legal directories, Chambers 2022 and Legal 500, 2022.
"Philippa Barton is fantastic and meets the needs of her clients very well." "She is really friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and quick to respond." Chambers UK, 2022
“Philippa Barton has an outstanding work ethic. The duty of care towards the client is second to none. The detail and level of involvement is appropriate and appreciated by her clients and case managers” Legal 500, 2021
“She is a keen advocate for her clients, will consider the whole picture and change and adapt her approach accordingly. She’s an empathetic and compassionate practitioner.” “She has been a delight – she always informs us about important information and helps and advises us appropriately.” Chambers UK, 2021
I have been referred cases by the Official Solicitor, numerous Personal Injury and clinical negligence law firms, barristers and financial advisors.
- Case A: Acting for a brain injured adult with a substantial award of damages. As a result of family breakdown, there was litigation over the family finances and his residence, care and access to both parents. I was required to represent the client at various court hearings and settlement meetings.
- Case B: Acting for a young adult with a severe head injury where there are serious safeguarding concerns with regard to financial exploitation by her friends.
- Case C: Acting for a brain injured child with a substantial award of damages where the parents are seeking large sums of money for expenditure which will not benefit the child and Court of Protection proceedings were required to resolve the issues.
- Case D: Taking over a complex deputyship where the former deputy has mismanaged deputyship funds. I was required to analyse the decisions made by the lay deputy and write a detailed report for the court.
- “Ms Barton provided expert advice and helped us navigate a very difficult probate process.”
- “When we joined HJA, we appointed Philippa Barton as our Deputy and it has been one of the best decisions we have made. It is a pleasure having Philippa on board with us as she is one of the best deputies. She is always there when you need help and explains every situation to you very adequately. She takes pride and care in dealing with our case and we really appreciate everything she has done and is continuing to do for us. I have spoken with some other members at HJA and they too were very respectful, provide great quality service and indeed very helpful.”
- “The firm is just amazing to deal with. Always reply to any of my emails or phone calls straight away. Without them I really wouldn’t know where we would be. Have made our life so much easier to deal with all the extra daily things that need doing when having someone with a disability in our family. Philippa is just been out of this world and always on hand to help with any questions we might have. Would highly recommend them.”
Memberships & Appointments
- Member of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
- Fully accredited professional member of SFE (Solicitors for the elderly), a specialist panel of solicitors acting for vulnerable clients and those lacking mental capacity
- Alzheimer’s Research UK panel of solicitors
Philippa is just been out of this world and always on hand to help with any questions we might have. Would highly recommend them.”
Career & Education
- 2014 – Hodge Jones & Allen: partner and head of Private Client
- 1990 – Edwards Duthie: partner and head of department
- 1985 – Hodge Jones & Allen: trainee and assistant solicitor
- STEP diploma: passed with distinction in 2008
- 1985 Legal Practice Course
- 1984 Common professional Exam – placed 2nd in order of merit
- 1983 Warwick university: English and European Literature BA