I qualified as a criminal defence solicitor in 2016 having successfully completed my training with the firm.
I dedicate my time to representing individuals accused of a breadth of criminal matters from driving and public order offences to serious assaults and drug offences. I regularly appear on behalf of clients in the Magistrates’ Court for first appearances and sentencings and conduct my own advocacy at summary trials.
Whilst at Hodge Jones & Allen, I have developed a particular interest in defending protest cases which raise important legal and public issues and I was one of the trial advocates for members of the Black Lives Matter organisation following their protest at Heathrow Airport.
During my time working as a trainee in our Civil Liberties team, building my understanding of civil actions against the police gave me additional knowledge of police powers which I regularly use in preparation of criminal cases, particularly those involving assaults against police constables.
Other clients I represent include people facing committal proceedings in the County Courts following breaches of Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions. I have successfully vacated guilty pleas and discharged Anti-Social Behaviour Orders.
Strong case preparation is important to me and I take great pride in my work for both privately or legal aid funded cases.
- Distinction in the Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2012 – 2013
- Distinction in the Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP Law School, 2011 – 2012
- 2:1 BA (Hons) in Politics and Spanish, University of Leeds, 2005 – 2009
- Solicitor, Hodge Jones and Allen LLP, 2016 to date
- Trainee Solicitor, Hodge Jones and Allen LLP, 2014 to 2016
- Police station accreditation, 2015
Prior to my legal career, I worked at a number of organisations including Amnesty International, Comic Relief and the Department for International Development, all of which motivated me to build a career in criminal justice.
- “You were absolutely amazing today! All the arguments you put forward were relevant and compelling. You were also so good with building rapport with the judge throughout the trial. I was very proud to have you representing me! It was great to watch you in action. Thank you for all the work during this case as well.”
- “‘Thank you very much [for] assisting me’ and the service was ‘excellent’. ” Ubah Ahmed