I am a criminal defence solicitor with a special interest in representing young people and cases involving police brutality, the misuse of police powers and criminal behaviour orders (CBOs), especially those which involve restrictions on making and performing music. I have written blogs on these topics.
I am an accredited Police Station Representative and I have Higher Rights of Audience which allows me to represent clients in the Crown Court. I have experience in the preparation of a wide range of Youth Court, Magistrates’ Court and Crown Court cases.
Through written representations, I have successfully persuaded the prosecution to discontinue or refer back to the police station for caution a wide variety of cases including possession of an offensive weapon, possession of a bladed article, robbery, criminal damage, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, public disorder and ABH.
I am a director of 4Front, a youth-led social enterprise which addresses the root causes of serious youth violence. I have been involved in a frontline youth project and mentoring for several years.
During my training contract I gained experience of Public Law and Judicial Review and worked on the multi-party action against the Department of Health and GlaxoSmithKlein regarding the Pandemrix vaccine. I also worked in the Civil Liberties Department assisting with actions against the police and applications under the Miscarriages of Justice Application Scheme.
Before joining Hodge Jones & Allen I worked as a paralegal in the specialist youth court team and then the general crime team in a large legal aid firm in London. I also have experience with prison law representing clients in adjudications and mental health law. During my GDL, I volunteered for the School Exclusions Project, representing school children who had been permanently expelled from school. Whilst studying for my undergraduate degree, I completed an internship for the Runnymede Trust, a race equality think tank. I have also volunteered as a legal intern for Release, a drugs and human rights charity.
- Acted for a 15 year old charged with assisting/ encouraging an affray. Three co- defendants pleaded guilty and Elena’s client was acquitted after a full trial.
- Represented a 15 year old charged with an assault by beating witnessed by three TFL staff. Acquitted after a full trial.
- Represented a client charged with a domestic assault who was acquitted at half time after Elena successfully argued res gestae
- Elena is currently representing Extinction Rebellion demonstrators charged with breach of s.14 Public Order Act.
- With written representations, persuaded the prosecution to drop two charges of possession with intent to supply against her 18 year old client on public interest grounds.
- Elena was able to persuade the prosecution to discontinue proceedings against a 15 victim of modern slavery charged with assault on a police officer.
- “Just want to say a huge thanks to Elena and your entire team for supporting us at a difficult time with such an amazing outcome, I am truly grateful.After my 15 year old son was charged by police I called your firm and Elena booked to see us the following day. At the end of our first meeting I felt my son already had built a rapport with Elena. He felt she understood him and where he was trying to prove his innocence he felt believed. From then on Elena stayed in regular touch with us, keeping us updated at all times.Overall my experience in having Elena to represent us felt like Elena was fighting like a mother to protect a child of being wrongly convicted. Elena has been amazing throughout, exhausted all options and always remained professional and well composed and still put her point across. She came across extremely confident and knowledgeable. I truly believe that Elena will go a long way and become one of the best in this area of work.”
- “I instructed Elena Papamichael at Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors to represent a vulnerable young female who was under 16 in a complex case which had already been to court and back a number of times. I had serious concerns about the implications of criminal court proceedings for this young person and Elena Papamichael listened to my concerns carefully. In less that 48 hours after she received the papers for the case she was successful in persuading prosecution to drop charges. I am very grateful.”
- “Thank you very much to you for Advocate Elena. She was very professional at the court today and she is very talented.”
- “I want to thank you again from my heart for all you did for my son and the family. BIG THANKS”
- “Fantastic company, they make everything right and get things done ASAP. Very nice employees and people to work with; highly recommended.”
- “Best Solicitor!!!”
Articles and Publications
- Criminal Law & Justice Weekly – Getting to the heart of knife crime in the UK, February 2017
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2016, Distinction
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City University, 2013, Commendation
- Biochemistry BSc (Hons),University College London, 2012, 2.1
- Solicitor at Hodge Jones & Allen, March 2018 – present
- Trainee Solicitor at Hodge Jones & Allen, Sep 2016 – February 2018
- Paralegal at GT Stewart Solicitors – September 2013- June 2016
In my spare time I enjoy boxing, reading, films and documentaries.