I am recommended lawyer by Chambers and Partners where I am described as someone with “great client skills and doggedness” and who “manages to exercise very sound judgement irrespective of what the case throws at her.” I am also ranked in Legal 500 and have been described as a person who is “a top performer who leaves no stone unturned in the fight for her clients.”
- Law, University College London, 2.1
- Legal Practice Course, Distinction
I have practised as a solicitor for 11 years and as a housing law specialist for over 10 of those. Prior to training as a solicitor I worked as a paralegal for a year and also worked for the Drug Action Team at Hackney Council.
- “I would enthusiastically recommend HJA to anyone looking for professional,high quality legal representation. Their approach is straightforward and pricing/fee structure is uncomplicated and very good value. My personal experience working with HJA staff inc Sadhari, Sophie and Brady always left me reassured and confident that they were actively seeking the best possible outcome for my case. And I was extremely happy when my claim was indeed settled in my favour and within the time scale that HJA had initially predicted. All-round excellent service.”
- “The solicitor I saw [Sophie Bell] was friendly, professional and constantly kept me updated with my case. She was always approachable and answered any questions I might have had promptly. I would definitely recommend them to others.”
- “Professional and excellent solicitor.”
- “Definitely I would recommend this company to any one who wants success…nice to have Sophie Bell on my side.Thank you.”
- “You were very informative in keeping up to date with my case and making me know what my options were”
- “You managed to turn the case around from us facing eviction to getting what we needed.”
- “I’m very happy that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I would like to thank you for taking on my case.”
- I take on complex and unusual cases and recently obtained a positive outcome for an elderly and vulnerable client who had been unlawfully evicted from his home by a property company who wished to develop the house and sell it on for profit. There were further complicating issues as the client’s name was not on the title deeds for the property and the lawful owner appeared to be deceased. Claims were brought against the property company and persons unknown and I was successful in obtaining a possession order against the company and an agreement that they would pay the client compensation of £13,000. I was also able to obtain an order to declare that the client was the sole legal owner of the house.
Membership & Appointments
I was elected in January 2012 as a member of the executive committee of the Housing Law Practitioners Association and have regular involvement with all areas of Housing Law including legal aid issues, legal updates and law reform. I am currently co-chair of a sub group who are organising the annual Housing Law conference and also manage membership. I have worked hard to form links with voluntary organisations and have a particular interest in homeless and youth charities.
I am an avid swimmer and enjoy the theatre and good food. I also play the flute in an amateur orchestra.