Sophie joined Hodge Jones & Allen in October 2008. She was admitted as a solicitor in 2005, was appointed associate in July 2012 and was promoted to Senior Associate in April 2015. In April 2016 Sophie was promoted to a partner in the housing and property team within the firm. deals with a wide variety of housing cases including possession and eviction matters, homeless applications and appeals and disrepair cases. She is also experienced in bringing Judicial Review matters. Sophie takes a sympathetic and efficient approach to her cases to try and ensure the best outcome for her clients in the shortest possible time.
Sophie is a recommended lawyer in Chambers 2021 where she was described as “excellent – very personable and effective. She has made a big impact on housing law and is passionate and committed.” In Chambers 2019 sources said that “she is extremely good with vulnerable clients,” adding: “She’s always ahead of the game and gets very good results.” Sophie is also ranked in Legal 500 and has been described as a person who is “a top performer who leaves no stone unturned in the fight for her clients.”
- Sophie takes on complex and unusual cases and recently obtained a positive outcome for an elderly and vulnerable client who had been unlawfully evicted from his home by a property company who wished to develop the house and sell it on for profit. There were further complicating issues as the client’s name was not on the title deeds for the property and the lawful owner appeared to be deceased. Claims were brought against the property company and persons unknown and she was successful in obtaining a possession order against the company and an agreement that they would pay the client compensation of £13,000. She was also able to obtain an order to declare that the client was the sole legal owner of the house.
- “Sophie was so incredibly helpful and so kind. She extended herself way beyond my expectations and subsequently managed to get all of the necessary repairs done by the landlord. The repairs had been outstanding for YEARS! I couldn’t recommend her highly enough. Thank you Sophie and your team, my family and I are really grateful for all your help!”
- “I can’t thank Sophie Bell and the rest of the H.J.A team enough. They provided us with the best professional help. Sophie went above and beyond to make sure that we not only won our case but provided us with all the information and support needed. Sophie pushed hard for us to get the compensation we deserved and more.
I would highly recommend Hodge Jones & Allan Solicitors.”
- “I was being made homeless. I had contacted several MPs and was directed to Sean Berry. I was advised to contact Hodge Allen & Jones. I found communicating with them was easy, considering everyone was in lockdown. I did not get to have my time in court, my mental health and the coronavirus had taken its toll on me. Hodge Allen & Jones helped me to get a home and a settlement be made on the homeless case. I am more than happy with the final outcome. I would recommend Hodge Allen and Jones, they are professional, courteous and they are, in my opinion, excellent solicitors. Thank you for helping me get a home.”
- “Very good and professional service received throughout, my client felt unjudged and supported.”
- “I would enthusiastically recommend HJA to anyone looking for professional,high quality legal representation. Their approach is straightforward and pricing/fee structure is uncomplicated and very good value. My personal experience working with HJA staff inc Sadhari, Sophie and Brady always left me reassured and confident that they were actively seeking the best possible outcome for my case. And I was extremely happy when my claim was indeed settled in my favour and within the time scale that HJA had initially predicted. All-round excellent service.”
- “The solicitor I saw [Sophie Bell] was friendly, professional and constantly kept me updated with my case. She was always approachable and answered any questions I might have had promptly. I would definitely recommend them to others.”
- “Professional and excellent solicitor.”
- “Definitely I would recommend this company to any one who wants success…nice to have Sophie Bell on my side.Thank you.”
- “You were very informative in keeping up to date with my case and making me know what my options were”
- “You managed to turn the case around from us facing eviction to getting what we needed.”
- “I’m very happy that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I would like to thank you for taking on my case.”
Sophie has practised as a solicitor for 14 years and as a housing law specialist for over 14 of those. Prior to training as a solicitor she worked as a paralegal for a year and also worked for the Drug Action Team at Hackney Council
- Law, University College London, 2.1
- Legal Practice Course, Distinction
Sophie is an avid swimmer and enjoys the theatre and good food. She also plays the flute in an amateur orchestra.