About Michael Kilbane
Michael joined Hodge Jones & Allen in August 2018 as a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution team, having been admitted as a solicitor in 2003.
Michael’s training and early years of practice were invaluable in providing him with a good grounding in litigation, dealing with a variety of contractual and property disputes. As a very junior lawyer he also had the memorable experience of assisting with a case that progressed to the Court of Appeal.
At a later firm, which primarily provided legal services to a stock exchange listed property-based plc, Michael gained considerable practice of applications within the jurisdiction of the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber). Such applications included service charge disputes, applications for dispensation from the leasehold consultation process and determinations for breach of leasehold covenants.
In the last ten years, the focus of his practice has been more on professional negligence claims, contentious probate claims including applications for removal of executors, Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 claims as well as maintaining a property practice.
"Michael gave me clarity, a sense of security, and confidence that a solution would be found. No hesitation about recommending him."
- Through mediation, Michael negotiated a money and property settlement worth £1.5 million for the second wife of a very short marriage in Inheritance Act proceedings.
- Adrian Alan Ltd v Fuglers (A Firm)  EWCA Civ 1655 & SCCO No. 5 of 2003, assisted with claimant’s original county court claim and the defendant’s subsequent appeal and claimant’s cross-appeal. Claimant was successful in the county court and Court of Appeal.
Michael acted for a landlord in a successful appeal to the Upper Tribunal (Lands) confirming that the lower tribunal could consider an application for dispensation from statutory consultation within an ordinary application for determination of service charges without a formal application for dispensation having been made.
A successful appeal to a Circuit Judge confirming an administrator’s standing to bring a claim for possession of the deceased’s property.
- “The advice and support that I received from Michael Kilbane was second to none. I was at a tricky, scary point of dealing with a difficult neighbour when Michael gave me clarity, a sense of security, and confidence that a solution would be found. No hesitation about recommending him specifically and HJA in general.”
- “I’ve been very fortunate to have been introduced to Mr Michael Kilbane of Hodge Jones and Allen Solicitors, who dealt with a case on behalf of my company very expediently and at a quarter of the cost which I was told I had to pay at a different firm of solicitors. Throughout the transaction, Mr Kilbane was in charge of the matter and I thank him for the sound advice I was given at all times.”
- “Throughout the transaction, Mr Kilbane was in charge of the matter and I thank him for the sound advice I was given at all times.”
“Thanks Michael, I really appreciated you being there, holding my back whilst the drama played out. All your advice was spot on and gave me a sense of security when the whole situation felt scary. My sister and I are very relieved that our neighbour has decided to cooperate without the need to initiate legal process.”
I’d have no hesitation in recommending you and your firm to people needing legal advice.
“I appreciated the support and advice given by my solicitor, Michael Kilbane, during a lengthy dispute. His diligence in chasing the potential plaintiff for information and case notes was admirable as was his resolve in getting the best possible outcome. Whilst this case file has now been closed should we eventually receive a response I will not hesitate to ask Mr. Kilbane to continue with the case.”
“Michael was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable on the phone about some issues relating to Formaldehyde and a supplier. I highly recommend him.”
Memberships & Appointments
- The Law Society
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Professional Negligence Lawyers Association
- London Irish Lawyers Association
- The Society of Mediators
"Michael was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable... I highly recommend him."
Articles and Publications
- Thomson Reuters: Agents’ Mutual Ltd v Gascoigne Halman Ltd: Reflections on aspects of the Disclosure Pilot Scheme under PD 51U
- Thomson Reuters: High Court emphasises importance of explaining clearly English rules of procedure and burden of proof
- Thomson Reuters: Court of Appeal decides parties’ consent not required for court to order early neutral evaluation
- Thomson Reuters: Guidance regarding injunctions against persons unknown: Boyd and another v Ineos Upstream Ltd and others
- Thomson Reuters: The relevance of judges’ assessment of litigants’ ability to participate effectively
- Thomson Reuters: Does a stay of proceedings apply to the service of a claim form?
- Hodge Jones & Allen; 2018 to present
- Percy Short & Cuthbert; 2014-2018
- Heckford Norton; 2008-2014
- Bellis & Co; 2006-2008
- Bosley & Co; 2001-2006
- LPC – College of Law London 2000
- CPE – University of Sussex 1999