I qualified as a solicitor in 2005 and since then have worked as a criminal regulatory defence practitioner specialising in the fields of health, safety and environment. I have been recognised as a leading individual in these areas of specialism for a number of years in legal directories; Chambers & Partners and Legal 500.
I joined Hodge Jones & Allen in August 2017.
I have presented at a number of high profile safety conferences and I also speak at local health & safety group events.
My commitment to client needs is evidenced by the wide range of training I have delivered on compliance, legal risks, accident investigation and emergency response planning.
My practice also includes advocacy in the lower and higher courts having qualified as a solicitor advocate a few years ago. I regularly appear before Magistrates’, Crown and Coroners’ courts
Chambers and Partners have described me as “very knowledgeable” and Legal 500 have previously described me as “brilliant“.
- Higher Courts Advocate (Civil and Criminal) – 2009 to present date
- College of Law – 2002 – 2003
- University of Manchester – LLB (Hons) 1999 – 2002
- Partner, Hodge Jones & Allen – August 2017 to date
- Partner/Consultant, Osborn Abas Hunt – October 2013 until August 2017
- Partner, Berrymans Lace Mawer – April 2009 until October 2013
- Associate , Berrymans Lace Mawer – April 2007 to April 2009
- Admitted as Solicitor, Berrymans Lace Mawer – September 2005
Client/Directory and Peer Comments
In the previous few years clients and peers have said the following
- “Atiyah punches above her weight concerning the work she garners.”
- “She knows the law backwards and is extremely proactive with really good judgement. She’s committed and fearless for her clients and passionate about health and safety.”
- “she is a tough, no-nonsense individual, but personable with it”
- “She impresses sources with her knowledge of the law and approach to cases.”
- “I have worked with her on a number of cases both as a junior and as a silk and I would place her in the top echelon of solicitors working in this complex and specialist area of law. I say this because firstly she is a good lawyer with an incisive mind who understands the need for early strategy in a case and can quickly develop a practical road plan for all to follow and secondly because she has the necessary people skills to manage the client who is often under enormous pressure and stress and she provides reassuring and sound advice.” (Leading QC in Health & Safety).
Presentation/Articles and Publications
I regular comment in journals such as Safety Health Practitioner, legal journals and other trade specific publications.
Membership & Appointments
- Health & Safety Lawyers Association
- Association of Muslim Lawyers
- R v Dynamiq Cleaning Limited (2015)
- Polyflor Ltd v HSE  EWCA Crim 1522
- Inquest into deaths of 4 at Claxton Enginnering (2014)
- R v Sterecycle Ltd (2013)
- Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service – Investigation into the death of 2 firefighters at the Shirley Towers fire (2012)
- R v George Collier/Parcol Developments(2012)
- Inquest into the death of Samuel Linton (2010)
- Inquest into the death of Andrea Adams (2010)
- Investigation into Lakanal House fire (2009)
- R v Connolly and Kennett (Tebay – West Coast Main Line Fatalities) – Court of Appeal (2007)
- HSE v Greater Manchester Fire and Civil Defence Authority – death of Paul Metcalf and Reyaz Ali (2004)
Follow me on Twitter @AtiyahMalik