I am a Partner and Solicitor specialising in employment law. I advise both businesses and individuals which means I am ideally placed to work out the best strategy for both. If you need to understand your employment rights, resolve disputes with your employees or just where to find a superb coffee, give me a call. I will talk to you honestly about your chances and the reality of your choices.
Whether it is for a senior executive seeking to negotiate an exit strategy, an individual seeking advice after having been treated badly at work or a business seeking to understand the status of those who work for them, I am well placed to advise and assist. I have always been interested in fairness and problem solving and find it immensely satisfying to be able to help people during some of the most challenging times of their lives.
Every business needs training on their legal obligations to their employees, contracts and policies to be drafted and representation when they run into a dispute. My experience and expertise can help your business with all of these. My clients know me for being practical, straight talking and thorough. I have experience across a broad range of sectors including charities, education, healthcare, financial services and retail.
If you need to track me down, you might find me in the crowd at Lords watching the test cricket, scouring the rough for my mis-placed golf ball or feeding the goats at the local farm with my young family.
- Partner at Hodge, Jones & Allen – August 2018 to present
- Senior Associate at DAS Law – April 2015 to August 2018
- Employment Litigator at DAS Law – February 2013 to April 2015
- Employment Litigation Assistant at Prolegal –September 2011 to February 2013
- “Joe has instructed me on a number of cases over recent years. Some have been of exceptional complexity involving multiple causes of action and I have always been very impressed with the quality of instructions to me as counsel. I have been able to quickly understand the issues and each party’s respective position. Joe is a master at position his client’s case into one of strength. His preparation of the client’s case is first class.” Jason Searle, Counsel & Head of Employment at St Johns Chambers
- “It goes without saying that we could not have done this alone and we are extremely grateful for the fantastic level of support that we have had from you. In particular I would like to thank you for your ceaseless energy and attention to detail on the case.” HR Director for commercial technology business defending an ET claim
- “Joe has frequently instructed me on a wide variety of employment cases. I have always found both Joe and his instructions to be diligent, thorough and to the highest professional standards. He has a keen eye for detail and is well organised, making him a pleasure to work with. From experience with lay clients, they are full of praise for Joe and his ability to reassure and inform clients of what to expect, but at the same time gives pragmatic advice, even if it is not necessarily what the client wants to hear.” James Bromige, Counsel of Queens Square Chambers
- A major education organisation defending a claim for discrimination and whistleblowing lasting 3 years and valued at over £1.2 million which included a multi-day employment tribunal and subsequent appeal to the EAT.
- A senior executive of a tele-communications company, advising and negotiating an exit package.
- A pregnant woman who achieved a six figure pay out following unlawful treatment by her employer.
Memberships & Appointments
- The Employment Lawyers’ Association