“I believe that there is only one acceptable outcome to a case involving an innocent client. Not guilty…There can be no middle ground.” (Michael Connolly, author).
I have worked as a criminal litigator for over a decade. I am an experienced criminal solicitor, with in-depth knowledge of the criminal justice system.
I have successfully defended clients accused of a variety of offences, of all levels of seriousness. I recognise the fact that to a client even the most minor offence is serious, as a conviction could lead to a detrimental impact on a client’s future or employment prospects. As a result, I have developed a specialism providing pre-charge advice and representation enabling clients who justifiably seek to avoid criminal prosecution. I provide proactive and practical advice within the legal framework. I have represented people from many walks of life, including music, film, journalism, football, politics, many professionals, as well as vulnerable individuals.
My practice also includes defending clients who face allegations of fraud involving HM Revenue & Customs, as well as general and serious organised crime. I have successfully defended clients who faced investigations by overseas police forces and federal law enforcement agencies including a joint investigation carried out by the City of London Police, US Department of Homeland Security and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
I advance the rights of my clients from the earliest stage and I guide them carefully through the issues involved in criminal litigation. In doing so I uphold the firm’s ethos: fighting injustice, righting wrongs and defending the client’s rights.
- LPC, College of Law (London)
- BPP Law School
- Aston University
- Joined Hodge Jones & Allen, June 2009
- Admitted as a Solicitor, 2008
- Galbraith Branley Solicitors, 2006 – 2009
- “Leo was a fantastic asset on my case, providing constant updates throughout the process made me feel clear and reassured. I came to Leo after being recommended by a family friend. He instantly made me feel that I was in good hands. Leo worked tremendously hard at fighting my case whilst clearly setting out all options and possibilities along the way. I had an excellent result with Leo who managed to drastically change my circumstances from a potential criminal record to a low level fine. I highly recommend Leo to anyone looking for an experienced lawyer who will genuinely care about their client and provide a value for money service!”
- “Hodge Jones & Allen have successfully helped my brother ( whom is a vulnerable adult) deal with inaccurate charges brought against him. Leo (in particular) and his team were excellent. They were swift, discreet, knowledgeable and kept us informed of next steps and outcomes, despite the difficult scenario of the case and I felt Leo acted with compassion and respect despite my brother’s Disability and the difficulties communicating with him. I felt confident that the advice given was accurate and given with my brother’s best interest at heart. It was reassuring when a positive result was achieved. Thank you so much. Would definitely recommend their services.”
- “Leo Martin is an asset to your organisation – his endeavours have made an immeasurable difference to my life.”
- “Everything was done with consideration and great care.”
- “…a true gentleman, who seemed genuinely concerned for me when circumstances left me feeling more than a little fragile and I will forever be grateful to him for that.”
- “He clearly knows what he is doing – that he does it with the right blend of professionalism and compassion is what makes him a solicitor of worth, and as far as I am concerned, I would recommend him in a heartbeat…If only my gratitude could match his efforts, he’d collapse under the weight of my thanks.”
Overview of Cases
- R v A (Reported case; published in both Archbold and Blackstone’s).
Successfully opposed CPS appeal against Circuit Judge who stayed proceedings.
- R v Y: Represented a bogus solicitor who facilitated a large scale mortgage fraud. Police alleged that he was the mastermind behind the setup of bogus law firms.
- R v B & C: Defended two clients accused of money laundering and human trafficking. Multi-handed case at Southwark Crown Court. Both clients acquitted.
- R v M Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey): Represented a vulnerable client who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. This was the first case at the Old Bailey whereby a defendant gave evidence via a video link from a solicitor’s office. Client was acquitted.
- R v M: Defended husband and wife against allegations of tax evasion, money laundering and mortgage fraud.
- R v H: Defending husband and wife against allegations of VAT fraud.