Leo is a highly regarded and experienced criminal solicitor with over a decade of experience in criminal litigation. He has in-depth knowledge of the criminal justice system and is respected by many of his opponents and members of the Judiciary. He is listed in the Legal 500 as a recognised expert.
Leo has successfully defended clients accused of a wide variety of offences. He recognises the fact that even the most minor offence could have a detrimental impact on a client’s future or employment prospects. By specialising in providing pre-charge advice, many of his clients have been able to steer away from criminal prosecution. He also provides advice and assistance to potential witnesses who have been asked to provide a statement for the prosecution or have received a request to attend court to give evidence.
Leo is frequently instructed by professional sportsmen, music artists, actors, politicians and professionals. His practice includes defending clients who face allegations of fraud and financial crime. He has defended clients from investigations by overseas police forces and federal law enforcement agencies. Leo was also a key team member in the recent Euribor Trial, the alleged manipulation by traders who allegedly conspired to fix bank lending indexes.
He advances the rights of his clients from the earliest stage, guiding them carefully through the issues involved in criminal litigation. In doing so Leo upholds the firm’s ethos: fighting injustice – righting wrongs and defending client’s rights.
- Euribor R -v- P (2017 -2019) – Defended a senior trader employed by a major bank alleged to have fixed the Euribor bank lending indexes.
- R v A (Reported case; published in both Archbold and Blackstone’s).
- Successfully opposed CPS appeal against Circuit Judge who stayed proceedings.
- R v Y: Represented a bogus solicitor who facilitated a large scale mortgage fraud. Police alleged that he was the mastermind behind the setup of bogus law firms.
- R v B & C: Defended two clients accused of money laundering and human trafficking. Multi-handed case at Southwark Crown Court. Both clients acquitted.
- R v M Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey): Represented a vulnerable client who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. This was the first case at the Old Bailey whereby a defendant gave evidence via a video link from a solicitor’s office. Client was acquitted.
- R v M: Defended husband and wife against allegations of tax evasion, money laundering and mortgage fraud.
- R v H: Defending husband and wife against allegations of VAT fraud.
- “Very professional and skilled solicitor, who helped me immensely in dealing with my case. Thank you so much Mr. Martin.”
- “A solicitor and firm of great worth. Leo Martin dealt with my case with thoughtful, considered legal practice as well as being very fair, helpful and respectful (without ever being patronising, something that even people who work directly with vulnerable adults daily often fail to do). He went out of his way to help me and support me throughout the legal process which was completely new to me at a distressing time. He was easy to talk to, patient, and made me feel that his advice came from genuine concern for my issues and pride in conducting his work to a high standard. Like many others who have engaged his services, I am extremely grateful to Leo and would highly recommend him to anyone seeking expert legal advice.”
- “He clearly knows what he is doing – that he does it with the right blend of professionalism and compassion is what makes him a solicitor of worth, and as far as I am concerned, I would recommend him in a heartbeat…If only my gratitude could match his efforts, he’d collapse under the weight of my thanks.”
- “Leo was a fantastic asset on my case, providing constant updates throughout the process made me feel clear and reassured. I came to Leo after being recommended by a family friend. He instantly made me feel that I was in good hands. Leo worked tremendously hard at fighting my case whilst clearly setting out all options and possibilities along the way. I had an excellent result with Leo who managed to drastically change my circumstances from a potential criminal record to a low level fine.”
- “…a true gentleman, who seemed genuinely concerned for me when circumstances left me feeling more than a little fragile and I will forever be grateful to him for that.”
- “Leo has successfully helped my brother (who is a vulnerable adult) deal with inaccurate charges brought against him. Leo and his team were excellent. They were swift, discreet, knowledgeable and kept us informed of next steps and outcomes, despite the difficult scenario of the case and I felt Leo acted with compassion and respect despite my brother’s disability and the difficulties communicating with him. The advice given was accurate and given with my brother’s best interest at heart…”
- Leo Martin is an asset to your organisation – his endeavours have made an immeasurable difference to my life.”
- “Everything was done with consideration and great care.”
- Joined Hodge Jones & Allen, June 2009
- Admitted as a Solicitor, 2008
- Galbraith Branley Solicitors, 2006 – 2009
- LPC, College of Law (London)
- BPP Law School
- Aston University