Emily has been working in legal practice for over 9 years and qualified as a solicitor in March 2012, before joining Hodge Jones & Allen in April 2015.
Emily is an experienced and skilled medical lawyer, specialising in medical negligence, product liability and personal injury claims. She is currently assisting with a multi-party action (89 clients) relating to the Pandemrix H1N1 Swine Flu vaccine. The claimants all have narcolepsy (a serious and incurable neurological disorder).
Her clinical negligence work has involved a wide range of medical disciplines including ophthalmology, neurology, oncology, plastic surgery, orthopaedic surgery, vascular surgery, cardiology, hepatology, gynaecology, obstetrics, radiology, dentistry, podiatry, emergency medicine, endocrinology, gastroenterology, general practice and urology.
She has acted for individuals bringing claims in respect of allegedly negligent treatment provided by general practitioners, NHS hospital trusts, private physicians, private surgeons and dentists.
Emily also specialises in product liability claims in respect of defective medical products. She is currently instructed by clients who have been diagnosed with Breast Implant Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL), with each case involving multiple defendants and causes of action.
In addition, Emily’s practice also covers high value personal injury claims and she has acted for clients who have sustained complex fractures and severe psychiatric injuries.
She is an experienced negotiator and able to provide legal services under a range of funding arrangements including legal aid, conditional fee agreements, before the event legal expenses insurance and private funding agreements in the High Court and the County Court
Emily also represents bereaved families at Inquests and at Preliminary Inquest Reviews.
In addition, Emily has assisted on high profile judicial reviews of NHS England’s decision to refuse funding for medical treatment including R (oao SB) v NHS England .
- College of Law, Guildford – Legal Practice Course (2008 – 2009)
- Aberystwyth University – BA (Hons) (Law) (2005 – 2008)
- Associate, Hodge Jones & Allen, May 2018 – present
- Solicitor, Hodge Jones and Allen, April 2015 to April 2018
- Solicitor, Blackburn & Co, 2012 – 2015
- Trainee Solicitor, Blackburn & Co, 2010 – 2012
- Paralegal, Blackburn & Co, 2010
- Case Worker, Edward Hayes Solicitors, 2009 – 2010
- “We cannot express enough, the gratitude for the amazing support through extremely stressful times. Always professional and understanding. Peter Todd and Emily Welstead, you got us through it! Thank you!”
- Acted for a young woman who sustained complex fractures, a psychological injury and significant scarring as a result of a road traffic accident. Liability was admitted in this case and I recovered a substantial six figure settlement for my client.
- Represented a lady who lost the sight in her right eye, following the delay in diagnosis of Giant Cell Arteritis. Liability was denied in this case. Emily however successfully obtained a five figure settlement for her client.
- In a very sad case, she acted for a mother who witnessed the death of her daughter in a playground. The client suffered severe psychiatric injuries as a result of witnessing this accident. This case settled for a six figure sum following an admission of liability.
- Represented a lady who was diagnosed with a rare and terminal gynaecological cancer in early 2015. In February 2008, the client had undergone surgery following detection of a mass, which we alleged was not properly investigated. The evidence we obtained confirmed that this mass was a tumour and that had this been diagnosed in 2008, the client’s prognosis would have been very good. As a result of the delay in diagnosis, Emily’s client’s cancer is terminal and incurable. Liability was denied, but a six figure settlement was negotiated shortly before trial.
- She acted for a lady who sustained an extravasation injury during her chemotherapy treatment following a diagnosis of breast cancer. Her client became very ill as a result of this injury and spent long periods in hospital. She also sustained scarring. Liability was admitted and Emily recovered a substantial five figure settlement for the client.
Memberships & Appointments
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)