I qualified as a solicitor in 2015 and moved to Hodge Jones & Allen to join the Civil Liberties department in 2016. My work focuses on claims against the police and other public authorities, including civil actions for assault, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, discrimination and breach of the Human Rights Act, as well as complaints and public law challenges.
I am a Law Society accredited mental health panel member and prior to joining the firm I also regularly represented patients detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended) at First-tier Tribunals.
I have a particular interest in claims arising from stop and searches, the mistreatment of vulnerable individuals and civil actions resulting from police misconduct at public demonstrations.
I am bilingual; in German and English.
- “Joanna Bennett is a fantastic solicitor & has gone above & beyond to help me in my civil case. I would highly recommend using HJA solicitors, especially if you ever find yourself in need of the best civil liberties team around. Ms Stewart”
- “I found all of the staff I encountered to be friendly, helpful and professional. I felt very well looked after on a personal level throughout the cases progress. I felt I could trust the team to be fighting for my case to get the best outcome and that their ethics were good, both professional, and with values in line with my own.”
- “I would like to thank you and Joanna for all your hard work and determination in fighting my case, without you guys I would not of even been awarded the figure I was, so again I would just like to express my gratitude to you.”
- “Just wanted to thank you again for the hard work you did for our case and for always being so kind to me when I’m upset.”
- “I am very happy and I will be recommending you to everyone I know.”
- LPC, Anglia Ruskin University, 2011
- LLB Law and German (joint honours): Swansea University 2010
- Hodge Jones & Allen (January 2016 to date)
- Admitted as a Solicitor, (February 2015)
- Guile Nicholas Solicitors, Paralegal, Trainee Solicitor , Solicitor (2012 – 2015)
- Ipswich Council for Racial Equality (2010 – 2012)
Membership & Appointments
- Police Action Lawyers Group
- Young Legal Aid Lawyers
- Defend the Right to Protest
- Law Society International Action Team
In enjoy travel, music and sports.