- Civil Liberties
- Actions Against Police
- Human Rights in Healthcare
- Death in Custody Compensation
- Equality & Discrimination
- Prisoners’ Rights
- Immigration Detention
- Human Rights
- Victims of Crime
- Claims for Miscarriage of Justice
- Judicial Review
- What’s the Process
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Court of Protection Deputyship Solicitors
- Criminal Defence
- Employment Law
- Family Law
- Wills & Probate
- Medical Negligence
- Military Claims
- Personal Injury Solicitors
- Dispute Resolution
- Serious Fraud
- Social Housing
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma
- Property Disputes
Awards & Accreditations
Civil Liberties & Human Rights Solicitors
If your rights have been infringed or you have suffered injustice at the hands of the State you don’t have to suffer in silence. Everyone has the right to be treated fairly, equally and with dignity. Our leading team of specialist solicitors is driven to uphold these principles and fight against oppression and injustice. For over 40 years, we have been at the vanguard of challenging unlawful actions by the State.
The European Convention on Human Rights 1950, brought into English law by the Human Rights Act 1998 guarantees you your most fundamental human rights. Our leading and well known team is dedicated to fighting on behalf of individuals to protect your basic human rights.
Recognising our exceptional Solicitors
At Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors we have an outstanding track record for gaining our clients compensation, apologies, admissions of wrongdoing and securing changes to protect you and others from similar breaches. We have an exceptional track record of holding authorities to account, including police forces, the Independent Police Complaints Commission, the Prison Service, Coroners, the Ministry of Defence, the Crown Prosecution Service, immigration detention centres and healthcare providers.
Top Ranked Civil Liberties Team
Introduction to our Civil Liberties and Human Rights team
We are ranked in Chambers & Partners 2019 for Civil Liberties and Human Rights law in the UK and also ranked in Police Law and Public and Admin law in Legal 500. Our lawyers have an exceptional track record of holding authorities to account, including police forces, the Independent Police Complaints Commission, the Prison Service, Coroners, the Ministry of Defence, the Crown Prosecution Service, immigration detention centres and healthcare providers.
Our Civil Liberties team is ranked as one of the top 10 firms in the UK for this area of law in the Chambers and Partners UK 2019 and the Legal 500 UK 2019.
What we do
Our mission is to seek accountability from the state and redress for those whose rights have been infringed. We represent bereaved families where a death has been caused by actions or failures by individuals working for the State. You may have been ill treated by the police, or wrongly caught up in the criminal justice system. You may be a protestor or victim of crime that needs our help. We passionately believe in helping clients from all walks of life, irrespective of their resources.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Actions against the police
- Police complaints
- Judicial reviews
- Challenges under the Human Rights Act
- Equality and Discrimination claims
- Challenging failures to investigate crimes
- Holding authorities to account following deaths or injury in detention
- Human Rights in Healthcare claims
- Unlawful immigration detention
- Holding authorities to account following mistreatment or injury in detention
- Claims for miscarriages of justice
Award Winning Team
Our Civil Liberties solicitors have been recognised for their pioneering work on some of the most sensitive and high-profile cases over many years.
- We launched the judicial review that helped secure the reopening of an investigation into Stephen Lawrence’s death, and which helped bring about the conviction of two men for his murder.
- We won a landmark case in June 2013 at the Supreme Court on behalf of families killed in Iraq in poorly armoured Snatch Land Rovers. The ruling established that the Ministry of Defence has a duty to protect the human rights of soldiers, even when they are on the battlefield.
- We are renowned for our work on miscarriage of justice compensation claims, our team has unrivalled expertise in this highly specialised field. We are currently challenging the restrictive eligibility criteria for entry to the statutory scheme for compensation for miscarriage of justice in the Court of Appeal.
- Our lawyers have represented clients in all of the major protests in recent years, including the G20, Critical Mass, TUC day of action, UK UnCut, anti – Dsei and Dale Farm protests.
If you would like to speak to one of our Civil Liberties Solicitors, please call 0800 437 0322 or request a call online. Our legal practice and the team of London Solicitors have a strong track record of achieving favourable client outcomes.