Slip and Trip Claims

The consequences of a slip or trip can be minor but can sometimes result in serious injuries such as broken bones, severe ligament damage or even head injuries which can affect your personal life.

Whether the slip or trip was an accident at work, in a shop or on the pavement, you may be able to make a personal injury claim for compensation.

Who’s at fault for a slip or trip accident?

Slips, trips and falls generally occur because either businesses or local councils have not taken the correct safety measures to ensure that you and other members of the public are kept safe. Most slips or falls are caused by:

  • Wet floors
  • Uneven floors
  • Cracked or uneven pavements
  • Unexpected obstacles
  • Inadequate lighting

The local council is responsible for keeping public pavements, roads and walkways safe and free from dangers, so if you should slip and fall whilst outside, they are likely to be responsible. Businesses have a responsibility for ensuring that hazards are clearly marked out and walkways are kept clean and free from obstacles whilst you are on their premises.

Where do slips and trips occur?

The most common locations for people to trip or slip in public include:

  • Pavements
  • Public Highways
  • Parks
  • Playgrounds
  • Schools & Colleges
  • Council Offices
  • Business Premises
  • Supermarkets

Why you should make a claim after a slip or trip

Slips and trips can leave you with long-term damage, such as chronic pain or even being disabled, as well as financial losses caused by having to take time off work to recover or attend medical appointments.

A claim for compensation could help you overcome the loss of earnings as well as cover any future medical costs that you may incur as a result of your injuries, such as if you require long-term care even after the rehabilitation period. Start your claim today

Time limit in slips and trips claims

A claim for an injury must be brought (submitted to the court) within three years of the date you suffered an injury or three years of you being aware that you have suffered an injury. There is an exception for children under the age of 18 years who have until they reach their 21st birthday to submit their claim to court.

How much compensation could I received after a slip or trip?

This will depend on your specific situation, but is primarily based on the severity of your injury. Therefore, those who make personal injury claims with minor injuries that fully heal quickly within weeks or even months will inevitably receive a lower settlement than someone who suffers major injury that leaves them with permanent disabilities.

You may also suffer other losses such as loss of earnings or may require future long-term care as a result of suffering from a slip or trip injury. As every injury is personal, the amount of compensation you could potentially receive will be personal to you.

No Win No Fee claims with Hodge Jones & Allen

If you’ve suffered an injury due to a slip or trip in the last three years you may be able to claim compensation. Our London-based team of specialist personal injury solicitors will happily provide you with a Free, no-obligation consultation. There are strict time limits that apply to making a personal injury claim. You have three years after the injury occurred which is usually the date of the accident.

Example of our Work: Pothole trap

Our Client tripped in a pothole as she was crossing the road and injured her ankle as a result. Unfortunately she also developed fibromyalgia as a result of the accident, so was left with permanent symptoms and could no longer pursue her career in law. Liability was admitted but causation was in dispute. The case settled the day before trial.

Damages awarded: £75,000

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I have had a slip or trip accident?

Depending on the severity of the injury, one of the most important things to do after an accident is to gather as much evidence as possible. This usually includes taking photos of the accident scene and obtaining witness details.

Do I need to report the accident if I’m thinking about making a personal injury claim?

Yes – an accident should be reported as soon as possible, whether this is to the local council, a supermarket or your employer.

The accident book should also always be completed as soon as possible as this is further evidence to support the case. Even if you are thinking about making a claim for compensation, do not wait to bring the case thinking that it is sufficient for your solicitor to report the accident.

Do I need to seek medical attention or will my solicitor arrange this?

In cases involving serious injuries, treatment should be sought immediately. In other cases, it is still important to obtain medical attention straight away. Whilst treatment can be organised through the claim this often happens at a later date.

It is important for individuals to report the accident to their GP or hospital as we will request the medical attendance record to support the case. It also shows that the injured person is doing everything they can to get themselves better.

When should I bring a case?

Whilst an individual has 3 years from the date of an accident to bring a personal injury claim (a child and other protected parties have longer), it is always best to bring the case as soon as possible. Do not wait thinking that you have 3 years. Claims are often stronger the sooner they are brought.


View all Frequently Asked Questions.

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call us on:

    Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

    Phone:0808 231 6369
    Fax:020 7388 2106
    Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
    180 North Gower Street
    NW1 2NB