How can our solicitors help with your housing disrepair claim?

Our Housing Solicitors in London have been defending the rights of tenants living in rented properties for over 40 years. We understand how disruptive it can be when a landlord has refused to repair faults or hasn’t kept the house in a suitable condition, and the impact this can have for you and your loved ones. We will endeavour to get you quick results wherever possible. If you would like to speak to our specialised lawyers please call 0808 231 6369 or request a call back online.

Why should you trust us to deal with your housing disrepair issues?

  • We have been ranked as Tier 1 in Legal 500 for our work, including representing clients in disrepair matters. Our lawyers have been referred to as ‘highly competent and dedicated to the best interests of its clients’.
  • We are ranked in Chambers & Partners 2018 as Band 1 (one of only three)
  • We can carry out a free initial assessment of your case
  • We can represent you in bringing a claim on a No Win No Fee basis
  • At Hodge Jones & Allen, the Housing team understand how much a housing disrepair can affect yours and your family’s quality of life. Therefore, we work to resolve it as soon as possible, putting your needs first!

My house is in need of repair, what should I do?

You do not need to suffer in silence as tenants have rights too! You may be entitled to compensation and for an order to have works carried out

  1. Contact our lawyers, where we can carry out a free initial assessment of your case.
  2. We will allocate you with the best expert for your need and keep you up to date throughout.
  3. Get a professional surveyor to complete an inspection of your property.
  4. Get your landlord to carry out works.
  5. Get you the compensation you deserve.

To find out what damages you may be entitled to receive due to your landlord’s failure to keep your home in a good state of repair, please try our UK disrepair compensation calculator now. Alternatively, see how we have helped our clients by viewing our disrepair case studies

Frequently asked questions


We are asked a great number of questions and below are those most frequently asked.
If you have other questions please call us on 0800 437 0322 or complete our email contact form.

My landlord is not carrying out repairs to my home. What can I do about it?

Your landlord is responsible for carrying out repairs to your home however they must first be notified of the disrepair. Therefore it is very important that all disrepair is reported to landlords as soon as possible.

If your landlord has received notice of the disrepair and has failed to carry out the repairs within a reasonable period of time then you have a potential claim for disrepair against them.

Once instructed to act on your behalf, the first thing we will do is write to your landlord giving them formal notice of the disrepair and intended action against them. We can also consider whether to instruct a surveyor to inspect your home. If your landlord refuses to carry out the works and pay you compensation for the inconvenience you have suffered you can issue a claim for housing disrepair in the County Court seeking a court order forcing your landlord to carry out the works and to pay you compensation.

Legal Aid funding has been curtailed in recent years and is no longer available for the majority of disrepair cases.  Hodge Jones and Allen (“HJA”) can offer to act on your behalf on a ‘no win no fee’ basis, formally known as a conditional fee agreement.  We can offer you an initial meeting to discuss the way in which this works and see which method of funding is most suitable for your case.  We can also answer any questions you might have.

Do I have to come in to see you?

HJA’s offices are in North Gower Street in London close to Euston Station. We see clients in our office however we also offer appointments by telephone where this is preferred. Our client base spans the country as we do not have to physically see you to act on your behalf.

How much compensation can I recover?

The amount of compensation you can recover will depend on a number of factors such as the nature and extent of the disrepair, how long it has been going on for and the impact it has had on you and your family. For more information on this please try our UK disrepair damages calculator.

Your landlord does not have the right to evict you or take any other action against you if you complain about disrepair or if you instruct solicitors to help you take legal action. Your landlord can only take action against you if you breach your tenancy conditions for example by not paying your rent or causing nuisance to your neighbours.

I have a potential claim for housing disrepair. What should I do next?

You can contact us either by telephone or via our website. Some basic details will be taken from you and you will be contacted shortly thereafter for an appointment either in person or by telephone.

We also act for leaseholders in relation to claims for disrepair and compensation against freeholders. For more information please contact us.

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call us on:

    Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

    Phone:0808 231 6369
    Fax:020 7388 2106
    Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
    180 North Gower Street
    NW1 2NB