Get In Touch
help Housing Help

Housing Disrepair

Your landlord is responsible for carrying out repairs to your home however they must first be notified of the disrepair. Therefore, it’s very important that all disrepair is reported to landlords as soon as possible.

If your landlord has received notice of the disrepair and has failed to carry out the repairs within a reasonable period of time, then you have a potential claim for disrepair against them.

we can help.

request a call back.

    Find out what damages you may be entitled to receive:

    My house needs repair, what should I do?

    You don’t need to suffer in silence as tenants have rights too. You may be entitled to compensation and for an order to have works carried out. 

    • Contact our lawyers
      We will carry out a free initial assessment of your case.
      Once instructed to act on your behalf, we’ll allocate you with the best expert for your needs and the first thing we’ll do is write to your landlord giving them formal notice of the disrepair and intended action against them.
    • Get a professional surveyor to complete an inspection of your property.
    • Get your landlord to carry out work.
    • Get you the compensation you deserve.

    If your landlord refuses to carry out the works and pay you compensation for the inconvenience you have suffered you can issue a claim for housing disrepair in the County Court seeking a court order forcing your landlord to carry out the works and to pay you compensation.

    "My lawyer was brilliant and truly helped me with my situation. I’m forever grateful. The best lawyer! "

    Back to top

    Why choose Hodge Jones & Allen solicitors?

    Our expert housing solicitors in London have been defending the rights of tenants for over 40 years.

    We understand how disruptive it can be when a landlord has refused to repair faults or hasn’t kept the house in a suitable condition. We’ll endeavour to get you quick results wherever possible to help reduce the length of the impact on you and your family. interests of its clients’.

    • We’ve been ranked as Tier 1 in Legal 500 for our work, including representing clients in disrepair matters.
    • We’re ranked in Chambers & Partners 2018 as Band 1 (one of only three).
    • We can carry out a free initial assessment of your case.
    • We can represent you in bringing a claim on a No Win No Fee basis.

    Our specialist housing team understands how much a housing disrepair can affect yours and your family’s quality of life. Therefore, we work to resolve it as soon as possible, putting your needs first.

    Contact our housing experts today on
    to find out how we can help you with your disrepair.
    Back to top

    The London Legal Podcast

    Housing Disrepair During Lockdown

    Sophie Bell and Shabnam Shekarian, specialist solicitors in our Housing Law team explain the government guidance surrounding housing disrepair issues during the Coronavirus lockdown. Sophie and Shabnam discuss landlords’ responsibilities to ensure their properties are safe and fit for habitation, tenants granting access to their property and how renters may be able to take legal action and claim compensation for issues at their property.

    Click here to listen to the podcast.

    London Legal Podcast Logo

    Back to top
    Meet The Team
    view all
    Jayesh Kunwardia
    Daniel Fitzpatrick
    Farzana Chowdhury
    Sophie Bell

    Featured cases

    Housing Disrepair

    Our client, Mrs S, was a secure tenant of a London local authority. She had been experiencing disrepair to her home including leaks in the bathroom causing damp, mould growth and damage to the wall plaster and timbers. HJA were instructed to represent her in bringing a claim against the local authority landlord. A claim was issued at court and settlement was secured for all necessary works to be carried out and compensation of £22,500.

    type of claim
    damages awarded
    Housing Disrepair

    We represented a tenant from a local authority who complained of extensive disrepair, securing a report from a chartered surveyor detailing the defects to the property and what works were required. The landlord failed to respond, and court proceedings found them liable for the damage. We secured an injunction for the repairs and an award of £21,782 plus any legal fees for our client.

    type of claim
    damages awarded
    Housing Disrepair

    Our clients were a group of residents of a London social landlord. They had suffered a lack of heating and hot water for several years. We were instructed on this group action and were able to secure a settlement in excess of £100,000 for the residents together with an agreement to carry out works.

    type of claim
    Group Action Disrepair
    damages awarded
    View all

    Frequently asked questions

    Do I have to pay for my legal advice?

    Legal Aid funding has been curtailed in recent years and is no longer available for most disrepair cases. We can offer to act on your behalf on a ‘no win no fee’ basis, formally known as a conditional fee agreement. We’ll arrange an initial meeting to discuss the most suitable method of funding for your case. We can also answer any questions you might have.

    How much compensation can I recover?

    The amount of compensation you can recover will depend on several factors such as:

    • The nature and extent of the disrepair.
    • How long it has been going on for.
    • The impact it has had on you and your family.

    For more information on this please try our UK disrepair damages calculator.

    Will my landlord take any action against me if I take legal action against them?

    Your landlord doesn’t have the right to evict you or take any other action against you if you complain about disrepair or if you instruct solicitors to help you take legal action. Your landlord can only act against you if you breach your tenancy conditions, for example by not paying your rent or causing nuisance to your neighbours.

    I have a potential claim for housing disrepair. What should I do next?

    You can contact us either by telephone or via our website. Some basic details will be taken from you and you’ll be contacted shortly thereafter for an appointment either in person or by telephone.

    We also act for leaseholders in relation to claims for disrepair and compensation against freeholders. For more information please contact us.

    Further Reading
    View all