CALL 0800 437 0322 FREE 24 hours a day
Submit enquiry

Read our blog

Right to Rent declared unlawful

Chun Wong

Posted by Chun Wong | Partner
On 20th March 2019

The Immigration Act 2014 introduced in February 2016 in England, made a requirement that a landlord must check the immigration status of their tenants to ensure that they had a ‘right to rent’ residential property in England.

This meant that landlords needed documentary evidence of the right of the potential tenant (and all occupiers) to reside in England and if not were required to do a Home Office right to rent check…

Read more

What Orders can the Court make in relation to children?

Lisa Okoroafor

Posted by Lisa Okoroafor | Solicitor
On 18th March 2019

As family lawyers we’re often asked ‘how can I apply to have my child live with me? And ‘what can I do if my ex prevents me from spending time with my child?

Separation may involve animosity between the parents and it is often difficult to make arrangements for the children to spend time with both parents. Rather than parents focusing on their rights, it is always important to consider what is best for the child. This is the approach adopted by the Court. The child’s welfare is the paramount consideration.

Read more

The role of intermediaries in youth crime

Graeme Hydari

Posted by Graeme Hydari | Partner
On 18th March 2019

Intermediaries are generally qualified Speech and Language Therapists or Psychologists (often Child Psychologists) who are able to assist a suspect or Defendant with communication during a trial and sometimes during a police investigation interview.

They are qualified professionals who are registered with the Ministry of Justice (MOJ).

Why are intermediaries important?

Read more

Time Limits in Inheritance Act Claims

Chun Wong

Posted by Chun Wong | Partner
On 11th March 2019

A claim made under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 is for reasonable financial provision from an estate where you have not been provided for or properly provided for under a Will or pursuant to the rules of intestacy if there is no Will.

Only certain classes of people can make these claims and they are subject to very strict time limits.

Read more

Sentencing Youths: the Theory and the Practice

Laura O'Brien

Posted by Laura O’Brien | Solicitor
On 7th March 2019

The main aims of the youth justice system is to prevent offending by children and young people, to encourage them to take responsibility for their own actions and to promote re-integration rather than punish. When sentencing the Court must consider these aims as well as the welfare of children and young people. In short, the aim should be on avoiding criminalisation and supporting rehabilitation.

Read more

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

By ticking the following box I am giving Hodge Jones and Allen consent to process my personal data for the purpose of this enquiry.

Full details of our privacy policy is available here

Call us on:

Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

Phone:0800 437 0322
Fax:020 7388 2106
Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
180 North Gower Street