Possession Proceedings

As a landlord, you will have the right to take back possession of a property you are renting out to a residential tenant, but how and when you can do so will depend on several factors. The process can be complex, so that it is vital that you have the right lawyers representing you and it is very important that you seek legal advice as early as possible. Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors are very experienced in all kinds of residential possession proceedings, and well known for helping both landlords and tenants with possession claims.

Contact our lawyers for a free initial consultation to find out how we can help you on 0808 231 6369.

How can a landlord evict a tenant?

If you are letting a property to a residential tenant who does not leave when you ask, then in most cases you will need to obtain, and enforce, a Court order.  The main exception to this is for certain “live-in” landlords who share bathroom/kitchen facilities with their tenants; but even then, there may be legal complications in trying to evict without a court order.

The requirements for obtaining a court order will depend on the kind of tenancy.  For private landlords, the most common kind of tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. An AST landlord has a right to a possession order if he/she has served a valid “Section 21” notice (a notice meeting the requirements of Section 21 Landlord and Tenant Act 1988).  However, the process is highly regulated, and there are a number of technical pitfalls which could lead to the Section 21 notice being invalid. Even minor errors in the paperwork may prevent a Court from granting a possession order or lead to significant delays and costs.

Our team of property dispute solicitors are highly experienced in advising landlords on their rights and obligations, in order to minimise void periods and protect property investments.

I am a landlord and would like to evict a tenant, what can I do?

  • Contact our specialists

If you are a landlord and would like to understand more about the process for regaining possession of a property, call our 24/7 number and speak to a member of our team.

  • Assess your case

Our team will collect and assess your information. They will then pass this to an appropriate lawyer who can give you initial advice.

  • Funding options

Your lawyer will explain the available funding options and set-out a strategy for your case. They will keep you informed throughout.

Why should you come to Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors?

  • Expertise

Our solicitors have many years of experience in dealing with possession proceedings. They will work tirelessly to reach a positive outcome within the shortest possible time frame.

  • Lawyers who understand

Our team understand how frustrating possession proceedings can be. They will help you throughout the process, putting you first.

  • Affordable Fees

We understand costs plays a great part in thinking about bringing a claim. Our lawyers will explain the different arrangements and help you make the right decision for you.

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call us on:

    Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

    Phone:0808 231 6369
    Fax:020 7388 2106
    Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
    180 North Gower Street
    NW1 2NB