I have been exposed to asbestos, what should I do?
If you believe that you have been exposed to asbestos fibres at work then you should consider taking the following actions:
- Request a copy of your firms’ arrangements for dealing with asbestos
- Check all staff know of the arrangements individual responsibilities
- Report the exposure to your GP
- If you are a member of a union, report the exposure to them.
- Ensure you have reported the incident to your employer and take part in any investigation. Request a copy of the final report and record action taken
- Request a copy of any HSE report or recommendation.
What if the company I work for no longer exists?
A claim can still be brought against a defunct company. They can be restored to Companies Register. This would be possible if the insurer for the company at the time of your exposure were known and able to meet the claim