Frequently Asked Questions About Mesothelioma & Asbestos Diseases

Do I have a claim?

If you have any of the following asbestos related conditions you may be able claim compensation:

  • Mesothelioma
  • Asbestos-related lung cancer
  • Asbestosis
  • Pleural thickening
  • Pleural effusions
  • Pleural plaques

Most asbestos conditions result from exposure to asbestos at work, however exposure can also have occurred in the following circumstances which could give rise to a claim:

  • Contaminated work clothing being brought home
  • Living near an asbestos factory
  • Use of talcum powder
  • Uncontrolled asbestos removal in rented accommodation

You should contact our specialist team who will be able to advise you further.

Who can claim?

The following people may be entitled to bring a claim:

  • The person diagnosed with an asbestos related condition
  • Spouse and partners
  • Other dependents

If you are unsure whether you can claim, please contact our team for further advice.

What can I claim for?

Compensation typically covers the following:

  • the illness and its effects
  • care and assistance
  • aids and equipment
  • the costs of replacing services such as gardening, DIY etc
  • income loss past and future
  • medical and associated expenses
  • immunotherapy and other private medical treatment

In additional to compensation, we will also help you to claim any DWP benefits you may be entitled to.

How long will my claim take?

This will depend on the nature of the claim. Our team will be able to explain the procedure and how long the process is likely to take. We will always aim to win your case as quickly as possible.

How much will it cost me?

We act on a no win no fee basis with no hidden charges and no deductions for legal fees.

How long do I have to bring a claim?

The law normally requires that court proceedings are started within three years of when you are first told that you have an asbestos-related disease, or within 3 years of the date someone has passed away. There are some limited exceptions to this rule, so if you are past the time limit please get in touch with our team to discuss further.

Can I still claim if my employer no longer exists?

Yes – a compensation claim can still be brought if the employer’s insurer can be trace. If not an application can be made to a Government scheme. We will advise you on your options.

I already have a solicitor acting for me. Can I transfer to another?

Yes. You are free to instruct a solicitor of your own choice. Transferring your claim shouldn’t present a problem. Any costs that may be due to your current solicitor can usually be put on hold and recovered at the end of the case if it is successful, along with any fees of your new solicitor.

What happens to my claim if I passed away before the case is finished?

The claim can continue.

Request a FREE callback

Fill out this form and one of the team will get back to you:

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call us on:

    Our offices are open from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.

    Phone:0808 231 6369
    Fax:020 7388 2106
    Address:Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors
    180 North Gower Street
    NW1 2NB