Housing Solicitors

Our specialist and dedicated team of Housing & Property solicitors have been passionately defending the rights of those with housing and property issues for over 40 years. We specialise in a broad range of legal matters including housing disrepair claims, housing discrimination claims, tenant disputes, bringing and defending possession claims, landlord and tenant disputes, bringing and defending antisocial behaviour injunctions, succession and homelessness.

Our property dispute solicitors also deal with boundary disputes, planning appeals, leasehold disputes, injunctions, rights of way, possession claims and compulsory purchase orders.

Our solicitors will deal with your case sympathetically and will fight on your behalf to get you the best outcome possible for you. If you would like to speak to our expert lawyers please call 0808 278 2531 or request a call back.

Introduction to our Specialist Housing team

Our Services

At Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors our leading specialists help people matters including:

Housing solicitors in London

We have a dedicated team of specialist housing and property solicitors in London who can assist with matters nationwide. We are independently ranked as some of the best housing solicitors in the UK due to the quality of our work. If you would like to speak to our expert lawyers please call 0808 278 2531 or request a call back online.

No win, no fee housing solicitors

One funding option we can discuss with you is a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) more commonly known as ‘No Win No Fee’. This allows you to bring a disrepair claim, with no financial risks to you and without the need to pay any solicitors’ fees upfront and we will cover you for any adverse costs including expert witnesses and barrister’s fees.

Our solicitors will assess your claim and check if you are eligible for this funding option. If you would like to know more about funding your housing case with a No Win No Fee Agreement please speak with one of our specialist housing solicitors.

If you have a housing issue, what should you do?

  • Free initial assessment

If you have been unable to deal with a housing issue yourself, contact our specialist solicitors for a free initial assessment and to discuss your funding options.

  • Expert representation

We will assess your case for legal merits and then if there is a legal case we will allocate to the most appropriate team to deal with your matter.

  • Positive solution

Once you have been taken on by our solicitors we will then talk through your options and provide you with the best approach for a successful solution.

Examples of people we have helped

Client wins claim for disrepair and damages

We represented a tenant from a local authority who complained of extensive disrepair. We helped our client to secure a report from a chartered surveyor detailing the defects to the property and what works were required to rectify the disrepair. The landlord failed to respond and it was necessary to issue court proceedings on an urgent basis. The Judge found the landlord liable.

The outcome:

Injunction for repairs, award of £21,782 + legal fees

Settlement reached with local authority for possession proceeding.

The local authority issued possession proceedings on the grounds our client had parted with possession of the property and was not occupying the property as her only or principal home. After lengthy negotiations with the local authority, a settlement was reached whereby a suspended order for possession was made requiring our client to pay the rent, and that our client does not sublet any part of the property without seeking the permission of her landlord.

Solicitors successfully negotiated with landlord of noisy neighbour

Process took two months from instruction. We acted for a homeowner whose neighbour was excessively noisy. Our solicitors successfully resolved the issue by negotiating with the landlord of the neighbour, who served notice on the neighbour. Our Solicitors were able to do this via mediation, which provided our client with a cost-effective alternative to entering protracted litigation. The process took two months from instruction to the notice being served.

Why choose Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors?

Stellar Reputation

We are one of only three firms in the UK to be listed as a Tier 1 firm for this area of law in the Legal 500 guide. We are also independently ranked as a Band 1 firm for housing law by Chambers & Partners UK.


Our solicitors are entirely committed to achieving the best result for all our clients, supporting them through the process and working very hard to get justice for you.

Excellent track record

Our expert solicitors have an excellent track record for successfully challenging authorities and resolving claims quickly. They have a vast experience dealing with a ray of housing claims.

Frequently asked questions

Will I be evicted if my landlord takes me to court?

This will depend on the type of your tenancy agreement and the reason that the landlord is seeking possession. If you have an assured or secure tenancy, the court will not order possession unless grounds to do so have been proved and in many cases, only if it reasonable to do so.

There are many arguments that could be put forward n defence to any such claim.  Although private tenants have less secure tenancies, there are often valid defences which can be put forward to avoid being evicted. We can advise you further in this regard.

Do you handle planning / boundary disputes?

We have specialist solicitors who understand that the boundary of your property is more than just a line on a map. It determines the value of your property, how it can be enjoyed and how it can be protected. Rights of way or views can be influenced by boundaries and they allow you to develop your land in a particular way.

Our specialist advisers have an intimate understanding of property law and can provide the legal protection you need, whatever the dispute might be, for example:

  • Positioning of boundaries
  • Trespass
  • Overhanging trees
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Encroachment from neighbouring buildings
  • Overlooking windows
  • Use of utilities
  • Rights of way
  • Adverse possession

The boundary lines on your land registry plan do not always reflect the true situation on the ground, as the boundary can be determined by a number of factors, such as new agreements, which can change over time.

What can I do about poor conditions in a property?

All landlords, including local authorities, housing associations and private landlords, have a legal duty to maintain their property in an adequate state of repair and to ensure these are fit for human habitation.

They must also ensure that any defects in the property don’t pose a threat to the safety of tenants. If the property’s condition is unacceptable then we can help advise you on the best course of action.

This might include applying for a court order requiring the council or landlord to put things right. The court can also award you compensation where repairs have been delayed for no good reason and impose fines on landlords who don’t maintain their property in good condition.

What is the cost for a housing claim?

Housing claims can differ in cost, therefore, our expert solicitors will clearly set out all your funding options as soon as we know the details of your case. We want to give you every assurance that we would never incur costs on your behalf without your full agreement and knowledge.

If you are not entitled to public funding, we can discuss other ways of funding your case, including private arrangements, a ‘conditional fee arrangement’, (often described as ‘no win, no fee’).