Client wins case to have landlord pay compensation and costs for broken intercom needed for medical reasons
The client suffered from numerous, life-threatening medical conditions. He moved into a flat in a tower block where the door entry intercom had been removed, following a fire. The landlord had told the client that the door entry intercom was an obsolete system and could not be replaced, and that they were in the process of getting a new system. This had been the response for over a year and a half.
This meant that the client was unable to open the door to the block from his flat. In this particular case that had severe consequences, as it meant that the client was unable to open the door to the block to let emergency medical services in. He suffered a number of heart attacks and was at risk of death if unable to get emergency medical attention. He was reliant on passers-by to open the door to the block to let paramedics in.
Using the disrepair pre-action protocol we wrote to the landlord and arranged an urgent expert inspection of the intercom and wiring. Following this, the landlord managed to source a new handset and repair the electrical wiring which had been damaged by a fire before our client moved in. The client now has a working intercom and is able to let the paramedics in himself when he needs urgent medical attention. The landlord also agreed to pay compensation and costs.