Get In Touch

Accidents At Work: What To Do

Accidents at work are all too common. Whether it be an accident on a construction site, an office, a factory, a retail setting etc, it can be daunting to consider a potential claim against your employer. However all employers should have in place both employers liability insurance and public liability insurance in the event that an accident does arise that is not your fault. Unfortunately such accidents can be life changing and it is therefore essential to consider the following when an accident should arise.

Accident Book

If you have been involved in an accident at work it is important to report this to your manager and have this recorded into an accident book or accident report form. It is important that you state exactly how the incident occurred and details of any injuries sustained as a result of the accident. You should ensure that you read any accident report form completed by another member of staff to ensure that the information recorded is accurate. Details can include:

  1. The date of the accident
  2. The time of the accident
  3. Any witnesses to the accident
  4. An account of what happened

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

If there is any investigation at work or from the HSE you should co-operate with them. This will assist in identifying what went wrong and look at what actions that can be done in order to prevent another accident from happening again.

Medical Evidence

If you have sustained an injury as a result of the accident at work it may be necessary to attend your GP surgery or a hospital. It is important that you provide an accurate account of what happened which can be reordered in your medical records.

Am I entitled to sick pay?

Depending on your contract of employment, you may be entitled to sick pay. This could be in the form of statutory sick pay and/or sick pay from your employer. If you suffer severe injuries you may also be entitled to claim benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

It is important that you speak to your GP to discuss your injuries and also to your employer as to when you feel you are able to return to work. It may be that you have to return to work on light duties initially. Your employer may also have to make reasonable adjustments to assist in your return to work.

If you wish to pursue a personal injury claim, you have 3 years from the date of accident in which to make a claim. Starting a claim sooner rather than later may be beneficial as recommended treatment(s) can be arranged to assist in recovery and interim payments can be arranged if there are financial difficulties.

If you’ve been involved in an accident at work and would like more information about making a claim, contact our helpful and experienced Personal Injury team on 0808 271 9413 for further guidance, or request a call back online.