White Christmas? Don't have a slippery one
We have already experienced snowfall in the UK and my colleague, Lauren Hannath has commented how hazardous weather conditions of ice, snow and heavy rain greatly increase the risk to drivers on roads.
With only 6 sleeps until Christmas, the high streets are very busy with most of us trying to get our Christmas shopping done. It is likely that next weekend will be even busier for anyone hitting the high street at the last minute.
Whether it will be a white Christmas this year is yet to be seen, however the aftermath of sleet and wet conditions not only poses a risk to drivers on the road but can be an issue for shoppers who are trying to get their last minute Christmas shopping done.
Under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957, the owner of premises have a duty of care ‘to take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that the visitor will be reasonably safe in using the premises for the purposes for which he is invited or permitted by the occupier to be there’.
Whether you are attending a supermarket or a shopping centre, the owner of the premises should have procedures in place to identify all possible hazards and whether any action is required to mitigate or remove the risks they pose.
How to stay safe in premises:
- Give yourself plenty of time and avoid rushing around the store
- Wear suitable footwear
- Be careful of baskets left on the floor by other shoppers
In the unfortunate situation that you are involved in an incident, to succeed in an Occupiers’ Liability claim, it must be shown that the occupier failed in their duty to take reasonable care and that this caused the injury that was suffered.
The following steps should be taken following an incident:
- Report the incident and ensure that the circumstances of your accident and injury are recorded accurately.
- Take photographs of any visible evidence on the floor such as wet entrances or spilled liquid. You must be able to identify the location and the danger or defect which caused the incident.
- Take details of any witnesses who may have witnessed the incident, including their name, address and phone number.
We wish everyone a safe and Merry Christmas!