Tim is a specialist in the defence of financial crime and regulatory investigations and prosecutions.
He has defended individuals prosecuted by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), Serious Fraud Office (SFO), Crown Prosecution Service Fraud Division (including Revenue & Customs Prosecution Office), National Crime Agency (NCA), City of London Police (CoLP), Department of Business, Innovation & Skills (BiS) and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Because of his experience defending against the FCA and his time working on dual track investigations (regulatory and criminal) in the Enforcement division there, Tim has particular expertise in the Financial Services sector. Tim also advises companies in the oil sector on Bribery Act compliance.
Notable defence experience
- FCA prosecution of breaches of s19 Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 and Conspiracy to Defraud (Operation Cotton).
- SFO prosecution of Conspiracy to Defraud (World-Wide Bio Refineries).
- RCPO prosecutions of Fraudulent Trading and Money-Laundering (UMBS Online Ltd) and Conspiracy to Defraud, Cheating the Revenue and Money-Laundering (Operations Devout, Euripus, Vaulter and Hayrick).
- CPS Fraud Division prosecutions of Conspiracy to Defraud (Pemberton International) and Cheating the Revenue (Operation Dozen).
- NCA/CoLP prosecution of Conspiracy to Defraud & Money-Laundering (Identity Music).
Notable investigative & regulatory experience
- Legal adviser to multiple FCA criminal investigations into individuals and corporates suspected of
- breaches of s19 Financial Services & Markets Act 2000;
- insider dealing;
- misleading statements (s89/90 Financial Services Act 2012); and
- breaches of the Money Laundering Regulations 2017.
- Legal adviser to FCA regulatory investigations into
- Standard Chartered; and
- Paul Flowers
involving consideration of breaches of the Principles of Business (PRIN) and the Conduct of Business Rules (COBS).
- Legal adviser to multiple FCA Authorisations teams considering non-routine individual applications for FCA Controlled Functions (CF) – involving consideration of the Approved Persons Regime (APR) / Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR).
Tim graduated from Durham University in 2000 and was called to the Bar in 2002 as a Hardwicke Scholar of Lincoln’s Inn. He began specialising in financial crime and regulatory work in 2006 and was ranked in Chambers and Partners in 2016: ‘…fantastic at investigatory fraud…’.
Before joining Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors Tim was in independent practice at the Bar and worked in the Enforcement Division of the Financial Conduct Authority. He is a contributing author to the Confiscation Chapter of Butterworth’s Money-Laundering Law.
- Partner, Hodge Jones & Allen, September 2019
- Advanced Associate Barrister, Criminal Prosecutions Team, Enforcement & Market Oversight Division, Financial Conduct Authority, 2018-2019
- Contractor Barrister, Criminal Prosecutions Team, Enforcement & Market Oversight Division, Financial Conduct Authority, 2017-2018
- Contractor Barrister, Retail & Regulatory Investigations Team, Enforcement & Market Oversight Division, Financial Conduct Authority, 2015-2017
- Tenant, 1 Pump Court, 2013-2015
- Tenant, Lombard Chambers, 2006-2013
- Tenant, Holborn Chambers, 2004-2006
- Pupillage – Holborn Chambers, 2002-2003
- Call to the Bar – Lincoln’s Inn (Hardwicke Scholar & Sir Thomas More Bursary), 2002
- College of Law – PGDL and Bar Vocational Course, 2000-2002
- Durham University – BA (Hons), History, 1997-2000