- Closing Date
- 26th September 2022
We have a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic, experienced accountant looking for a great new challenge with a leading London law firm, to join our Finance Team as Financial Controller.
You will be working with our Finance Director, Julie Hardy MBA FCCA and the 19 strong team on all key areas of financial control, across our legal teams including Personal Injury, Crime and Private Client.
For an initial chat about the role, please message Julie Hardy on LinkedIn or apply by sending a covering letter and CV, with current salary details to Adam Russell at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review daily cash flow reporting and provide explanations of material movements
- Complete month end reporting in accordance with the agreed deadlines
- Ensure all Balance Sheet reconciliations are completed at every month end
- Interpret and provide insight into the historic financial performance of the firm to other stakeholders
Banking & Financing
- Ensure bank covenant reporting is completed and sent to the bank in accordance with our loan agreements
- Ensure Former Partner/EOT payments are paid on time and schedules kept up to date
- Place client money on account to maximise interest received
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Managing and overseeing the firm-wide budgeting process
- Ensure that the Company has adequate funds for its short and medium term needs.
- Oversee the production of an integrated P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow model
- Consider CapEx spend in line with the Firms strategic goals
Year End & Audit
- Ensuring the Annual Report and year-end accounts are submitted to Companies House prior to the submission deadline
- Ensuring the SAR audit report is prepared and received back from the Auditors prior to the deadline date. Ensure the report is submitted to the SRA if necessary to do so
- Ensuring the year-end accounts are submitted to Companies House before the deadline date
- Ensuring that any recommendations on the Auditors management letter are reviewed and addressed in a timely manner
- Approve and oversee all year-end balance sheet reconciliations
- Review and implement changes in working practice so the audit can be completed in an efficient manner
- Responsible for ensuring all relevant tax is paid on time
- Liaise with auditors regarding tax calculations and ensure that the correct information is provided in a timely manner
- Dealing with the quarterly VAT returns to HMRC with the help of the Management Accountant.
- PSA – prepare return for HMRC and pay over tax owed by deadline date
- Provide information to the tax accountant for Capital Allowance work and disallowable expenses
- Ensure insurance policies are kept up to date and paid on time (incudes Office Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance)
- Provide relevant information at renewal to allow for renegotiation of costs
Team Management & Support
- Strategic and operational leadership of the firm’s finance function
- Ensuring effective financial control and appropriate management accounts are maintained
- Ensure that all performance reviews are completed for all members of the finance team.
- Management of the finance team, monitoring time keeping, attendance and performance
- Mentoring and, where necessary, training members of the finance team to ensure they are capable of providing a good level of service to the Firm.
- Ensure that the Budgets and Forecasts are in compliant with the banking covenants and suitable risk factors are considered to allow for headroom.
- Prepare and submit practising certificates and payment with the help of the accounts asst.